Imposter?

1. Rarotongan

Rarotongan Valued Member Member

[​IMG]

I got 4 fish yesterday. 1 male swordtail and 3 supposedly female swordtails. I took a closer look at them when I got home, one of the supposedly females has a gonopodium but no sword on its tail. It is the same size as the male that has a sword tail. Is it an imposter or what's going on here? It is definitely a male but has it just not developed its sword yet or is it a platy or short finned Molly? Thanks

2. S

Secret Oasis Valued Member Member

im not a platy or swordtail expert, but at that size if it were a swordtail i would believe it would have grown its sword already

3. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Perhaps it's a Molly, did they have any mollies there? It can still be a male sword though, it can take longer for some to grow their swords than others.

4. OP
    OP
    Rarotongan

They had all types of fish there

5. Platylover

Then I'm betting you have either a later blooming make sword or got a Molly. I forgot to bring this up, but I'd return him. If you have him and he's a sword then you'll need two more females. Hope this helps:)

6. OP
    OP
    Rarotongan

Thanks.... I'm thinking late blooming sword. Yeah now my male to female ratio isn't the 1:3 that I had hoped for. I think I will keep him but I will get a few more females.

7. Platylover

Yeah I really think it's a male sword to, only time will tell though. Glad you'll be able to keep him.:)

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is unquestionably a late blooming male. The tail sword is the last thing to grow out when a male matures into his sex. Not all males mature at the same age, they can sex out as early as 10-12 weeks, or they may not sex out until nearly a year old, and anywhere in between.

Males grow more slowly once sexual characteristics have developed, so late males tend to be much bigger than early males. They are usually the territory holders in the wild, with the small males hanging on the edge and occasionally sneaking in to try and breed with smaller females.