Impossibility Of Meaningful Discourse | Page 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Kgnao, Feb 17, 2019.

1. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

The one that blows my mind is when they have a single sick betta in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and put the poor thing in a half gallon hospital tank. Its like why its the only thing in the tank. Put the fish back in its tank. Ok rant over.

2. Ronniethewitch Valued Member Member

There's always one wise guy in the bunch...

3. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

Every time I look at your username I read it as JJ worm

4. Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Oh I just appreciate good sarcastic humor!! And it seems like you have that in bucket loads..

5. Ronniethewitch Valued Member Member

aaaaand now the personal attacks begin :blackeye::D:rolleyes: :emoji_laughing:

6. jjohnwm Well Known Member Member

Yep...Addled42 has declared war...

7. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Is it though? :wacky:

8. Ronniethewitch Valued Member Member

I believe that we must definitely be proving that meaningful discourse can be had on this forum...you just have to fish for it! :p:cool:

9. Ronniethewitch Valued Member Member

:muted: ummmm. well I thought maybe as I have so insensitively remained as yet uncensored...

Add: it is if you're paddling!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  10. bitseriously Well Known Member Member

A former colleague, whom I still dislike, said something quite wise to me a few years back, and it's stuck to the point that I often share it. "Sometimes, being right doesn't matter." You may be right, but if they won't listen there is no good way to move forward. So walk away. And be satisfied that you know you're right (and tried to help), even if others don't.

I've been pinched for this same sin by the mods. I thought about it, and there's always a way to get your point across without swearing, real or fake. So I don't think this particular rule is unreasonable.

11. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

^^^This plus 1^^^ :cool:
    It is not easy to let the consensus of smarties screw some ones fish up or stop trying to convince someone ,but most of the time it really is best .
    I usually think as I exit a thread quietly " not my fish " and " they're going to die " ! It really is harder to walk away then 'debate' it adamantly but you can't win them all and you can't fix stupid [or people who insist on offering stupid info]….It is just the way it is ..many of us wish common sense could prevail but it seems much less common now a days...

12. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

This has been a hard lesson for me to learn but I really am getting better. I read a thread now and often I feel sure some of the information being given isn't right but instead of saying anything I just quietly close that thread and move on. :(

We are all here to learn and I would hope someone would correct me if I am giving some bad advice. I don't want to become that one person that thinks she knows it all and is constantly correcting what she thinks is bad information when it could be me that is giving the incorrect information.

13. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

It is not a point of correction ,it is point of convincing and having to prove to the superior keepers who choose to disregard doing any true research and still think what they want with out ever looking at or reading a link that may have even been offered .

14. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

It is impossible to change a closed mind :(

15. nikm128 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's something my marching band director once told us that I think some people apply to other situations
    "If you're right alone, you are wrong. If you're all wrong together, you are right"
    So the people that keep things like cory's and tetras alone will all be "wrong together" making them "right"

16. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

I just stopped myself from saying “here for a good time, not a long time” on someone’s post about their betta dying after 3 months... would’ve gotten banned