Impossibility Of Meaningful Discourse

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The one that blows my mind is when they have a single sick betta in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and put the poor thing in a half gallon hospital tank. Its like why its the only thing in the tank. Put the fish back in its tank. Ok rant over.

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jjohnwm said:
"What do you mean funny...funny how? How am I funny? I mean, funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you???"

...end Joe Pesci voice.
There's always one wise guy in the bunch...

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jjohnwm said:
"What do you mean funny...funny how? How am I funny? I mean, funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you???"

...end Joe Pesci voice.
Every time I look at your username I read it as JJ worm

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jjohnwm said:

...end Joe Pesci voice.
Oh I just appreciate good sarcastic humor!! And it seems like you have that in bucket loads..

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Addie42 said:
Every time I look at your username I read it as JJ worm
aaaaand now the personal attacks begin :blackeye:

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep...Addled42 has declared war...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ronniethewitch said:
England is a fair bit of distance for a little paddling
Is it though? :wacky:

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I believe that we must definitely be proving that meaningful discourse can be had on this forum...you just have to fish for it!

Ronniethewitch

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lucy said:
Is it though? :wacky:
:muted: ummmm. well I thought maybe as I have so insensitively remained as yet uncensored...

Add: it is if you're paddling!

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
jjohnwm said:
After several dozen threads in which I found myself growing increasingly irritated by a conversation in which another member asked a question, and then vehemently defended why their opinion, although wrong, should be correct...I found myself ready to throw in the towel.
A former colleague, whom I still dislike, said something quite wise to me a few years back, and it's stuck to the point that I often share it. "Sometimes, being right doesn't matter." You may be right, but if they won't listen there is no good way to move forward. So walk away. And be satisfied that you know you're right (and tried to help), even if others don't.

jjohnwm said:
I hasten to add that I never used any profanity...I replaced all the nastiness with a string of assorted keyboard symbols in the time-honoured comic-strip tradition of swearing-without-swearing. This string of &*$%#*^$#%@% is recognized everywhere, and appears in lieu of profanity in comics for kids...
I've been pinched for this same sin by the mods. I thought about it, and there's always a way to get your point across without swearing, real or fake. So I don't think this particular rule is unreasonable.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
A former colleague, whom I still dislike, said something quite wise to me a few years back, and it's stuck to the point that I often share it. "Sometimes, being right doesn't matter." You may be right, but if they won't listen there is no good way to move forward. So walk away. And be satisfied that you know you're right (and tried to help), even if others don't.
^^^This plus 1^^^
It is not easy to let the consensus of smarties screw some ones fish up or stop trying to convince someone ,but most of the time it really is best .
I usually think as I exit a thread quietly " not my fish " and " they're going to die " ! It really is harder to walk away then 'debate' it adamantly but you can't win them all and you can't fix stupid [or people who insist on offering stupid info]….It is just the way it is ..many of us wish common sense could prevail but it seems much less common now a days...

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
^^^This plus 1^^^
It is not easy to let the consensus of smarties screw some ones fish up or stop trying to convince someone ,but most of the time it really is best .
I usually think as I exit a thread quietly " not my fish " and " they're going to die " ! It really is harder to walk away then 'debate' it adamantly but you can't win them all and you can't fix stupid [or people who insist on offering stupid info]….It is just the way it is ..many of us wish common sense could prevail but it seems much less common now a days...
This has been a hard lesson for me to learn but I really am getting better. I read a thread now and often I feel sure some of the information being given isn't right but instead of saying anything I just quietly close that thread and move on.

We are all here to learn and I would hope someone would correct me if I am giving some bad advice. I don't want to become that one person that thinks she knows it all and is constantly correcting what she thinks is bad information when it could be me that is giving the incorrect information.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is not a point of correction ,it is point of convincing and having to prove to the superior keepers who choose to disregard doing any true research and still think what they want with out ever looking at or reading a link that may have even been offered .

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
It is not a point of correction ,it is point of convincing and having to prove to the superior keepers who choose to disregard doing any true research and still think what they want with out ever looking at or reading a link that may have even been offered .
It is impossible to change a closed mind

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
bitseriously said:
Here's something my marching band director once told us that I think some people apply to other situations
"If you're right alone, you are wrong. If you're all wrong together, you are right"
So the people that keep things like cory's and tetras alone will all be "wrong together" making them "right"

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I just stopped myself from saying “here for a good time, not a long time” on someone’s post about their betta dying after 3 months... would’ve gotten banned

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom