Important! What Temp?

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i haVE 2 NEONS IN A 1.5 GAL.   WHAT TEMP. SHOULD I KEEP IT AT CAUSE THE GUY AT THE PET STORE SAID IF I HAVE MY LIGHT ON FOR AT LEAST 8 HOURS A DAY IT WILL BE HOT ENOUGH IS THAT TRUE?  THNX Miley ???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re: IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT TEMP?!!!!!!!!

yes thats probably true but when you turn it off at night the temps will drop and this will cause a problem. when fish get chilled they tend to gt ICH or some other disease. A 1.5 G tank is not big enough for a heater.The smallest tank I would reccomend a heater for is a 5 gallon.
Carol

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score

thnx
i am going to be buying a 5 gal. then what kind of fish is ok in a 1.5 gal by its self BESIDES bettas?
thnx Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

None, not even bettas.  Bettas need at least 5 gallons also.  They are Tropical Fish that need heated AND filtered tanks.  That is why so many of them die so young.  The idea that they can live in the little containers that are sold for them to live in is not only wrong but cruel.  If you want something in the 1.5 gallon tank or bowl, get a snail or ghost shrimp.  No betta.

Miley, please turn off your CAPS. It is just like you are screaming at us.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score

ok sorry. i didn't even think of it that way . sorry and thnxs for the great advice!! Miley.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score

Neons like temperatures around 76 degrees, so anything near that will be good. At night, the temperature does drop, and if there is no heater, that means bad news. I would put ghost shrimp into the small tank. They are so fun to watch and will eat anything. They are easy to take care of, and they are cheap to but from a fish store. hope that helps

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score

hey thnx, but i havent had tetras for 5 months. but i am sure this will help other tetra owners!! Smiley

lili70

Valued Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
A 1.5 G tank is not big enough for a heater.The smallest tank I would reccomend a heater for is a 5 gallon.
Carol
I have a Marinelan heater for tanks smaller than 3 g. It has preset temp at 78 and I keep it in a 2 gal tank with filter (betta home). It works fine and it's fully submersible and very very small.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am sorry but the mini heaters like you are speaking of are not reliable and while the heater may be working okay for you right now it will not work well in the long run. It is not a good idea to skimp in heating apparatus and to heat a tank that is too small is a receipe for disaster. It is just too dangerous and too hard to control. And a heater that is not adjustable is never advisable.

Rose

lili70

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK.
What else can be used in small tanks ?
L

Sorry, I got it. No tank smaller than 5 for bettas.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom