Important Update: Tetra Safe Start in Australia (bacterial supplements)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI all,
I have just received a response from the Australian distributors of Tetra products regarding availability of the Tetra Safe Start bacterial supplement.

The question:
me said:
I am writing to you as you are listed as the Australian Distributor for Tetra aquarium products.
I am wondering if you distribute the Tetra Safe Start bacterial additive in Australia?
If the product is available, can you please advise a list of resellers by state, and/or online vendors?
The answer:
them said:
Unfortunately we are unable to import into Australia. We applied for apermit, and would only gain this if the item was gamma treated upon arrival. As the item is live culture bacteria, treatment would kill the bacteria. This means there is no point importing the liquid form. Tetra is working on a different version at the moment and we may see some variations to this product over the coming months.
So where does that leave us Aussies?

Alternatives would be:

Aquasonic Bio Culture - probably the best alternative -

Seachem Stability - mixed views/results from members - Seachem - Stability

Any others?

OP
ryanr

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Lucy.

Certainly explains why I could never find it over here lol

Kunsthure

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow, your import laws are really strict! It's got to be nice knowing they go so far to protect y'all but also so frustrating.

I just love the governmental logic that TSS would need to be treated with gamma rays to allow it in the country--talk about a real life catch-22!

-Lisa

OP
ryanr

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kunsthure said:
Wow, your import laws are really strict! It's got to be nice knowing they go so far to protect y'all but also so frustrating.
Yep, we certainly don't live in the land of the free or the home of the brave.

It's nice living in a dictatorial democracy

Now - I'll completely contradict every piece of advice I've given about Stability - if our laws prohibit the bacteria in TSS, then how do we get Stability into the country ??? (note: aquasonic is made in Aus)

Food for thought... maybe it's the specific strain of bacteria in TSS that's banned .

edit: To all - given this is purely an information posting, I will close it. If you have another suggestion for bacterial supplements/additives available to Australia, please send me a pm/visitor message on my profile and I will update the thread.

New Threads