IMPORTANT: Need help

1. Rakki Betta Initiate Member

Hi every one, new person here.

So yesterday morning i put my bettas together to breed them. the whole day Rakki, the male tended to his bubble nest between searching for his girl Flute. She got beat up quite a bit but then she got brave and started showing off under the bubble nest with him. He just flared and nipped her away and kept building. this went on all day. I decided to leave them together last night and i wake up to a bubble nest twice the size and the two bettas having no change. Rakki just keeps blowing bubbles until the very moment.
    So i was wondering if theres any chance that they embraced.

I did condition them for 2 weeks. But Rakki seems to have a problem about blowing bubbles. He wont stop! so i was wondering what to do. Flute has made 4 attempts at trying to get him to embrace her but then he just turns super vicious out of no where. \
    What can I do?

Thanks, Rakki Betta

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Betta mating is violent. It's not uncommon for both to get pretty beaten up. However, I think the process is usually pretty quick. If eggs weren't produced, it's best to separate them, give them a chance to heal and rest, then begin the conditioning process again.

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

It was very risky to leave them together that long. As SDS said, it should happen quickly if it's going to happen at all. One of them just wasn't ready or they are inexperienced.

4. Rakki Betta Initiate Member

Yes i did just jar her up a few moments ago. Im just wondering though why he wont stop blowing bubbles. alls is it possible that they bred in the 6 hours last night in which i left them?\
    Also i was home all day watching them every 30 minutes.

5. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

It's possible. Do you see eggs in the bubble nest, or falling from it?

The male is blowing bubbles because it's what he does. In mating, he has three jobs: Make a bubble nest, the physical act of mating, and keeping the eggs in the nest. He may have missed one of those points, but he's still doing his best on maintaining the nest.

6. Rakki Betta Initiate Member

well the bubble nest is under an almond leaf so it's hard to see much. i tried shining a light but nothing noticeable. Before i removed Flute he was being super aggressive so thats what made me think they embraced last night. I did see one tiny, tiny white speck on the floor but i don't know if that means anything.
    What are girls meant to look like after breeding? she still has her egg stripes and her chubbiness is still there.

7. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Can't answer that question. I've never actually seen a female post-breeding. There are a few breeders around here, though. When they log on, they'll probably see this thread and be able to answer.

8. Rakki Betta Initiate Member

okay thanks. Right now shes a jar in the breeding tank desperately wanting to go out. Rakki is busy blowing bubbles and every few minutes flaring at her. I don't think they had the eggs yet.

9. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

She should be back in her own tank. They both need time to rest and recover before you should try it again.

10. Rakki Betta Initiate Member

Yah i did put her in her own tank. Im going to keep Rakki in the breeding tank just in case but only for 3 days.