Importance Of Proper Ph

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
While stocking my fish tanks, I am starting to see that a lot of fish I want come from water with less on, whereas I have a PH of a whopping 8-8.2
Unfortunately, I don' have room for any of the cichlids that thrive in this range, so I need other suggestions. I guesss what I am getting at is if there are any fish that REALLY need soft water. If I got tank raised, non-wildcaught fish, would they adjust to my Ph ? Thanks for all answers in advance

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
While stocking my fish tanks, I am starting to see that a lot of fish I want come from water with less on, whereas I have a PH of a whopping 8-8.2
Unfortunately, I don' have room for any of the cichlids that thrive in this range, so I need other suggestions. I guesss what I am getting at is if there are any fish that REALLY need soft water. If I got tank raised, non-wildcaught fish, would they adjust to my Ph ? Thanks for all answers in advance
My rule is You can always go higher but never lower

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank raised fish over multiple generations are a lot more forgiving with water parameters (and i personally think, temperature as well) then their wildcaught counterparts. If possible, i would suggest starting out with fish thats been line bred (think things like guppies, endlers, platies, bettas, angelfish and goldies... they have multiple variants) so it suggests that these species have been in the trade for a while. After that, branch out into the slightly more uncommon (like tetras, which many are not as forgiving as a guppy for example) and build your way up. That will offer you the most success- even though some of the 'harder' species will do just fine IMO - and give you some confidence if needed.

What im trying to say, dont stress. Many livebearers naturally come from areas of high pH and gH and the ancestorial lines now do equally as fine in lower ph and gh.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree with @Aqua Hands , most fish adapt well to higher ph, however Fish that need harder water don’t adapt well to soft.
You are better off with a stable ph then one you are trying to adjust. Often the biggest issue with lower ph fish in higher ph is breeding... if you’re not looking to breed (rams, etc) then I wouldn’t be overly concerned.
You can ask at your lfs what the current tank parameters are and adjust your acclimation appropriately.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tank raised fish over multiple generations are a lot more forgiving with water parameters (and i personally think, temperature as well) then their wildcaught counterparts. If possible, i would suggest starting out with fish thats been line bred (think things like guppies, endlers, platies, bettas, angelfish and goldies... they have multiple variants) so it suggests that these species have been in the trade for a while. After that, branch out into the slightly more uncommon (like tetras, which many are not as forgiving as a guppy for example) and build your way up. That will offer you the most success- even though some of the 'harder' species will do just fine IMO - and give you some confidence if needed.

What im trying to say, dont stress. Many livebearers naturally come from areas of high pH and gH and the ancestorial lines now do equally as fine in lower ph and gh.
That's the thing, I have been in this hobby for over 5 years, I have only had livebearers. Now my non-livebearers include only lemon tetras, which I have had for 7 weeks, and celestial pearl Danios, for about two weeks. I am glad that most are adjustable to a higher on, because I was counting on getting some livebearing fish at the fish auction on saturday.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom