Importance Of Filters/filter Media (copy/pasted Part Of Another Thread)

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

1. I see these posts all the time. Filters that are designed to toss out and replace the whole cartridge every month, therefore throwing out the whole cycle.

Not everyone can easily afford a new filter. Sponge prefilters will help these situations a lot. It’s like adding a small sponge filter into the tank. No, it’s not as much surface area as is ideal but it does help. There’s no need to ever throw them out, and they only cost a few bucks.

There are other brands, but here’s the one i use

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Yes, but the majority of the benificial bacteria isn't in the actual filter. It's in the substrate, all over the decor, and all over the glass. All you really need is a flow pattern in the tank that distributes all the harmful chemicals do be processed by the bacteria.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. I can say from the time i washed my filter in chlorinated water and tossed out one of the large sponges, causing an ammonia outbreak, the bacteria in the filter is very important for the health of the tank.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. I agree, in fact most of the "good" stuff is in the filter media. The gravel and decor hold very little. In my experience anyway.
    That's why when starting a new tank we try to get some filter media from an established tank to help the cycle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  5. I think we can have a good discussion about this if you all don't mind. I've gone without a filter running with media in my tank for around a week before with out any issues in the water quality, so obviously there must be a good amount of BB (benificial bacteria) outside the filter to keep the water the exact same. If you want, take a look at this video, it explains my thoughts better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6. We could, but maybe start another post so we don't over ride this one.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any porous material with water flow has the potential to hold the bacteria and do the job. I have a 20 gallon tank with snails and a betta with only a bubble bar under 3" of pea gravel. It has flow threw the gravel similar to an under gravel filter but not as much surface area so it would never work if the tank was typically stocked.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just realized the video link was missing, here it is:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom