Import Restrictions. Sad!

1. Hill Dweller Member Member

I was chatting with my LFS guy yesterday and asked when he might get some chilli rasboras in. (They import their own shipments into Australia)

He said they are hard to get because they are not on the approved list with the government so they can't get them from the big fish farms. They have to rely on local breeders
    :-(

Sad, it's a dream fish for my future tank plans!

What's insane is that it's merely because nobody has got an application through successfully to have them on the approved list. It's nothing to do with the fish coming from a location that brings in disease that might affect aquaculture industry here, because they come from the same mega fish farms as all the other fish, it's mere bureaucracy!

Then in other instances the fish are misidentified by quarantine so "illegal" fish come through anyway. The LFS guy also had a bag of fish x which got a random neon in it. They classified it as mixed species and destroyed the lot!!!

Argh, I'm glad my country has strong checks to preserve our unique biodiversity and our primary industries, but I want my fish! :)

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

They'll let basically everything in in the US. There are very few illegal fish, in the hobby at least. How are you supposed to find local breeders when the fish can't be imported?

3. vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Have you looked at the requirements to import fish into the U.S....? It is painful and cost-prohibitive for the average hobbyist.

4. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

It is costly and takes time of course, but it's nothing compared to other countries.

5. Hill Dweller Member Member

I guess some got in previously. Like he said, they can misidentify them and they slip through, I bet a stressed washed-out chilli rasbora looks just like many of the other less colourful micro rasboras. So I will just have to wait (and wait) until I chance upon some local ones :-(

Apparently endlers are not on the list either, but you see them everywhere. However it can affect guppy shipments if they suspect they have any in there that look interbred with endlers. Weird

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Nothing is illegal in Mexico as far as I know (and even if it was, probably very easy to get around the system if there is a demand). Lots of rivers and waterways have stablished populations of "exotic" species. Our goodeids and other endemic species are dissapearing and we also have some waterways covered in what seems to be water hiacynth. I dont know what to think about the subject.
    I think it would be pretty hard to make species illegal in Mexico, we have so many climates you would have to ban lots of fish.

7. Hill Dweller Member Member

It's a shame when invasive species affect waterways and the native species. So I'm generally supportive of the bio security measures here. Assassin snails are banned here because of the danger they pose to native snails.

It's just frustrating when the fish isn't a risk, but just nobody has succeeded in getting paperwork approved for it :-(