Imperial Tetra Hyphessobrycon Sp. "peru" Question

1. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Anyone kept this tetra species?
    There is very little information on the internet about it; however, I did find this article in Practical Fishkeeping from 2011.
    Here is the article:
    Imperial blue rainbow tetra

It is a spectacular fish!
    Questions are: I would like to put twelve of these in my 30 gallon (36 x 13 x 16 ) planted tank where I have ( or will be getting this week) 10 corydorus duplicareus. Temperature will be around 75-76 degrees, ph7.6, weekly 75% water change.
    Sound like an adequate amount of space? Parameters?

2. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Relatively new species, quite uncommon, do you have a source? Being Peruvian, I would expect they would adapt reasonably well to your conditions.

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Yes, Wetspot has them. I will try calling when they open.

Also, thought I would try to breed them from the details that this article outlines. I am a novice to breeding, but it would be fun to try.
    Breeding the Imperial Tetra (Full Article) | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

4. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Ordered! really excited to get these guys...

5. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Odd, I looked at the Wetspot list and didn't see them. Guess I just missed it.

6. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Look again, they are still there under characins and in alphabetical order.
    @chromedome52 - did you find them?

7. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

I wasn't looking for Imperial Tetra, I was looking for Rainbow Tetra, duh. I hope they look as good in real life as they do in the photos; often I have been disappointed when I got the live fish and they were not as colored up as the photos. Post back and let us know!

8. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Ill take a picture of them after a couple days of being in my tank. I hope they look as pictured as well.

9. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

They are here! All appear healthy. 8f8872f774e73124816095bfc8832d4a.jpg 26f7acdac6b8511af4d2d91fab649116.jpg

10. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

They are eating like troopers! They really like the freeze- dried blackworms. They are starting to color up a bit. Can start to see the red in the dorsal and tail. fce041837e4aded3e73399d67302ddb6.jpg 0a19efac3d7365821dca59f8ce058ff4.jpg

11. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

Oooh, those are going to be nice. Now all I need is some money to buy some!

12. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Really nice looking fish

13. BHK3 Member Member

Beautiful! Is that your petrified wood that you posted pics of in another thread?

14. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Yes, its pretty up close isnt it?

15. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I know they were pricey, but I fell in love with them...

16. BHK3 Member Member

Sure is! It really complements the Tetras' colors!

17. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Soon as I take those massive swords out and add my other plants which are much more sparse looking, I think that the detail of the petrified wood will be more prominent. I am hoping. Ill post pictures after I get the other plants and you can let me know what you think :)

18. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Beatiful fish, I love their dark stripe!

19. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks beanfish! :)

20. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Gorgeous fish!