Impeller replacement?

TheEssigs
When do you know its time to replace an impeller? (aside of no water flow)?

My Marineland Penguin BW 200 went from virtually silent to down right noisy, in what seems like 24 hrs.

I took the filter apart, cleaned it, reassembled it.... and nothing, same noise.

Could it be the impeller went? The filter functions, there is full water flow, so I am unsure if that's the problem or not... but what else then?

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Dino
Once they start making a lot of noise, it is only a matter of a short time until they quit working.
Months at best.

I would replace the impeller.

Butterfly
Is it possible a tiny piece of something has gotten down inside where the impeller fits? Maybe a good squirt of water with a turkey baster or such might get it out. If that's not it I'm with Dino replace it now before it quits on you.
Carol

TheDon
my impeller on my penguin 350 started making a vibration(as noted in my thread).. I've had the filter for 5 months now with no down time(except filter changes and such). I think its just do for a change. Just like water pumps in cars.. they don't last for ever

Butterfly
They do usually last longer than that though
Carol

TheEssigs
Well I took it apart, yet again, and re-cleaned it... its still noisy. I guess not noisy like OMG noisy, but since this tank is in our MBR its noisy for that room, and noisy compared to when I first hooked up the darn thing...

Anyway, we will see what happens in the next day or two, if the situation dosent improve, I'll just get a new filter, I can't see paying $12.50 for an impeller (which may or may not even be the problem) when I can buy the whole filter for $22.

I may just replace the thing anyway, since I really could use an extra filter on my tank with my Oscar, boy he is gross.... so, with that said... can anyone recommend a really quiet one filter for my MBR? The tank is a 26g bowfront.

Thanks guys!

Dino
Aquaclears or Millieniums.

Both are quite and push a lot of water.

TheEssigs
I think I may try the aquaclear.... as you know, I have asked Santa for a 120 gallon for Christmas, and we were planning on using (2) Aquaclear 500s on there, so this will be a good trial run... (in the smaller size, of course) to be sure we like it.

Dino
I like the fact they have lots of room for filter media.
Plus, as I said before, they move a lot of water.

TheEssigs
I like that feature too. I'm gonna make a run tomorrow to pick up the 200... and move the current Penguin to the Oscar tank.

We are going to be doing a lot of fish shuffling in 08! I am so excited I can barely contain myself!!

Oh, Dino, and then I can't wait till your shipping season starts!!!!!

TheDon
I am ordering mine through marineland tomorrow..

or from amazon.com

who ever charges the least and ships the fastest

here it is on amazon.com

18$ plus around $10 shipping... jeeez 30$ for just that little part.. I could buy a biowheel 200 for a little more...

jsalemi
Penguin impellers on DFS, only $7.99:

TheDon
that one is not for a 350

part #: PRIM350B

all that is needed is just the shaft

jsalemi
Yea, but the original poster was asking about one for a 200.

TheDon
my bad.. ebay has some

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
CatfishJack
Replies
Views
JSHinNC