Impeller Rattling

Otto1
My impeller is rattling on my aquaclear, and I was looking on the internet for silicone grease. Then, I came across on Danco Silicone faucet grease. Will this work great for the motor and is it plant and fish safe?

mattgirl
I have never used any kind of silicone on any thing in my tank but was wondering if you have tried to reseat your impeller or checked to make sure there is nothing in there where the bottom of it goes. Sometimes there is a build up of "stuff" in there that can keep one from being fully inserted.

Otto1
It just rattles randomly.

mattgirl
Hopefully someone that has used or knows the answer to your question will see it and can help you out. I wish I could have helped more.

Otto1
I have an aquaclear filter that rattles at times. I have came to the conclusion that I want to use silicone lubricant. However, I can't find any that say they are aquarium safe. So what do y'all use to prevent rattling noises or maintenance the filter? Any suggestions would be helpful

leftswerve
I have an aquaclear filter that rattles at times. I have came to the conclusion that I want to use silicone lubricant. However, I can't find any that say they are aquarium safe. So what do y'all use to prevent rattling noises or maintenance the filter? Any suggestions would be helpful
Pure "vaseline" is safe. Typically a rattle means there's a problem (the lid doesn't count, lol)

Bermuda Triangle
My impeller is rattling on my aquaclear, and I was looking on the internet for silicone grease. Then, I came across on Danco Silicone faucet grease. Will this work great for the motor and is it plant and fish safe?
You should use only food grade grease ! I bought this from Amazon very cheap - Haynes( lubrI - Film ) 4oz. Tube . It is sanitary, non toxic , odorless, tasteless. It is industrial use , used in many food related equipment. I use it on all my filter o-rings . Doesn’t break down . Don’t get ripped off from buying a tiny tube of grease from the filter manufacturer . Haynes Lubri-Film is perfect .

Sarah73
The reason your impeller is rattling is that something is either stuck in the impeller or something is clogged. Take the filter apart and clean the impeller.

wrs2
I have an Aquaclear that makes noises and I tried vaseline but it did nothing except make it not work :/

varmint
I would suggest taking the impeller out and clean the cylinder, that the impeller sits in, as well as the impeller itself.

bitseriously
I solved a weird problem with my Aquaclears recently:
If u use a prefilter, make sure it’s not pushing the bottom of the intake tube away from the back wall of the tank. My homemade prefilter sponge was cut just a bit too thick, front to back, and that pushed the bottom of the intake tube away from back wall, causing the filter end of the u-tube to push down on the grey plate that cradles it. That was giving a significant rattle from the impeller against the bottom of that grey plate.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
leftswerve
Replies
Views
Nick72
Replies
Views
matsungit
  • Question
Replies