Impatiently waiting patiently for fry

Cara

Member
The waiting is KILLING me. ok ... so it's my first batch of platy fry and I feel like a nervous grandma lol.

Is she as pregnant as I think she is? I have 2 male platy and they are ALL over her. ... doing lots of belly bopping.

I've been thinking about putting THEM in the breeder box to give her a break

Forgot to mention the breeder net there has 4 3wo dalmatian mollies
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Let’s hope that’s a pregnant platy lol. I hope it’s soon
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
Oh geez....if she's not pregnant than what?? A sympathy pregnancy cause the molly just had babes? Lol
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
I was just saying I hope that’s a pregnant platy because that’s a huge belly lol
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
I was just saying I hope that’s a pregnant platy because that’s a huge belly lol
Twins?
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Platys give birth to more than one so instead of twins more like 30 (if that’s why you mean)
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
Platys give birth to more than one so instead of twins more like 30 (if that’s why you mean)
I know. it was a joke lol....60?
Jk
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Oh I feel dumb now lol

Are you gonna keep them or sell?
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
Cara said:
I know. it was a joke lol....60?
Jk
I'm just hoping I can save a few.
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
They can get pretty big before finally giving birth, and the fry are tiny, and usually upwards of 20 fry per pregnancy. I recommend using a smaller tank or bucket to raise the fry, especially if you have a used sponge filter, it helps a lot

I had upwards of 30 molly fry, and for some you can’t do anything. I had about 5 die that I couldn’t help.
It sucks, but left alone, only about 5 would survive anyway
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
Oh I feel dumb now lol
Awwww

AggressiveAquatics said:
Are you gonna keep them or sell?
Never thought of selling. I imagine I'll miss the event and most will get eaten. I'd like to save a few though and have them grow. So I guess keep. But if this happens every month between molly and platy...my answer may most likely change

Wardonianfungus said:
I had upwards of 30 molly fry, and for some you can’t do anything. I had about 5 die that I couldn’t help.
It sucks, but left alone, only about 5 would survive anyway
I'd like 5. Or 4. It's just nature. what did you do with your fry?

Wardonianfungus said:
I recommend using a smaller tank or bucket to raise the fry
I'm not exactly sure my plan here. Aside from the breeder net with four 3wo molly fry, and empty breeding box I have....I also have a 10g with a new bumblebee catfish quarantined 2.5 weeks now, and a 3.5g new empty tank.

I have to start thinking who's going where and when.

Little momma is starting to bounce off ornaments. is that a sign of labor?
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
Cara said:
I'd like 5. Or 4. It's just nature. what did you do with your fry?
I have all of the survivors currently in my tank, letting them grow out and pick and chose who I keep and sell.
Cara said:
I'm not exactly sure my plan here. Aside from the breeder net with four 3wo molly fry, and empty breeding box I have....I also have a 10g with a new bumblebee catfish quarantined 2.5 weeks now, and a 3.5g new empty tank.

I have to start thinking who's going where and when.
Both tanks would be perfect if you have a sponge filter. Hobs suck them up. I think you’ll have a lot more than four or five survivors if you put them in a second tank
Cara said:
Little momma is starting to bounce off ornaments. is that a sign of labor?
It could be, mine didn’t bounce but every dish is different. Again, the sooner you can isolate the momma, the better. It’s a lot easier to scoop the momma out from the hatching tank than the babies from the main tank

Good luck
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
I tried to net her last night but was unsuccessful. now after work....she just doesn't seem as swollen as she was last night. I may have missed it all and they're all gone
 

mimo91088

Member
What else is stocked with her? I've never had a problem with platys eating their fry in a planted tank.
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Also, if you have an HOB and the intake is not covered, fry tend to find their way inside. While we haven't had a huge problem with platies eating their own fry, there are a lot of fish that sure don't mind the relatively easy LIVE snack.
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
mimo91088 said:
What else is stocked with her? I've never had a problem with platys eating their fry in a planted tank.
The tank isn't heavily planted. I mostly have a huge floating java moss. The community is 2 mollies, 3 platys, 4 skirt tetras and a pleco.
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Also, if you have an HOB and the intake is not covered, fry tend to find their way inside. While we haven't had a huge problem with platies eating their own fry, there are a lot of fish that sure don't mind the relatively easy LIVE snack.
I do have a HOB but the intake is covered. Yes...I don't doubt a live snack would be welcomed in the tank. Since last month momma molly had fry and I only found 4. I'll just keep waiting and checking. maybe I was wrong or maybe there's something good hiders
 

Betta'sAnonymous

Member
Cara said:
I do have a HOB but the intake is covered. Yes...I don't doubt a live snack would be welcomed in the tank. Since last month momma molly had fry and I only found 4. I'll just keep waiting and checking. maybe I was wrong or maybe there's something good hiders
Sometimes they are. Can take us a few days to find all the new fry. They so tiny and we do have a lot of places they can hide. Have even found them before tucked up between the glass and gravel, too.
 
  • Thread Starter

Cara

Member
Just found one platy fry tucked between the glass and the breeder net that I have 4wo mollies in. Was able to rescue it. Saw another swimming around but could get to it. Hopefully it found safe haven. They ARE so teeny tiny. It surprised me
 

Wardonianfungus

Member
That’s great! For food you can just feed them crushed flakes
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom