Immediate Ghost Shrimp Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kayla88, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Kayla88Valued MemberMember

I just purchased albino cories, ghost shrimp and a mystery snail. I'm currently acclimating them. I just noticed one of the shrimp has a giant white bump on its side. What could that be?? Could the other shrimp be infected?? And can it cross over to my cories?? I haven't put any of them in the tank yet.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Could you post a picture?

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kayla88Valued MemberMember

That's the best I could do. They're still in the bag.

Attached Files:

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I would quarantine the shrimp and take the one with an issue back to the store. You know there is a problem and you don't want your main tank getting ill.

5. OP
    OP
    K

I don't have a quarantine tank currently and the store is 45 minutes away. I only paid $1 for 10 of them so I'm not too worried about price. I just need to know if it's safe to add the rest of the shrimp to my tank. I'm not adding that one for sure. I just put in 8 albino cories and a mystery snail. I'm more worried about them getting ill.

6. KimberlyG

I could give a better opinion if I could see the affected shrimp.

7. OP
    OP
    K

I post a pic at the top of the thread.

8. KimberlyG

I can't really see through the bag to determine what it had or if the other shrimp could be affected.

9. OP
    OP
    K

That's the best I can do. It's a giant white bump on its side surrounded by tiny black dots. They're all currently in a home depot bucket so a picture in that wouldn't turn out well.

10. OP
    OP
    K

All I really need to know is, are there parasites or infections that can cross over to my cories from the shrimp?

11. bigdreams

bigdreamsWell Known MemberMember

Is there a clean 5 gallon bucket you could use ? Like they orange ones from home depot? Quick and dirty QT tank for now.

Possibly yes. Shrimp are cheap but your corys aren't... just stick them in a bucket

12. OP
    OP
    K

What should I do with them in the bucket? Is there a certain medication I should use? I don't have an extra filter or heater so they're just hanging out.

13. Monrankim

MonrankimNew MemberMember

Ghost shrimp sold as feeders are notoriously unhealthy. They are shipped roughly and mass (in) bred. Whenever I have bought them in the past, most of them would die shortly after. My tanks are densely planted and the water parameters are closely watched so I know it wasn't me. I always had better luck with shrimp sold for keeping rather than feeding and wild-caught ghost/grass shrimp. I have have some wild ghosts that have been going strong in my tanks for 6 months now. IMO I don't think it's a disease but probably an injury or an abnormality. Unless you have an air stone they won't last long in the bucket. I do like the idea of a bucket for a small QT tank though. That's clever. All you would need is a 10 buck air pump and a stone or a cheap sponge filter. You possibly use a storage bin too as long as it wasn't too flimsy

14. OP
    OP
    K

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of adding the remainder of the shrimp to my tank and keeping the bulging shrimp out. I assume it's horsehair worms. None of the other shrimp look like they have them but it's hard to tell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice