Imba's Nano Tanks - 20 Litre And 65 Litre

1. imba

imba Valued Member Member

Hi all!

Found this awesome forum a few months ago and learnt a ton here! Just wanted to share my two nano tanks I have in my living room.

I'm relatively new to fish keeping, as I just started a year or so. I started off with a 30L tank and then recently started another 20L tank. Both low tech, planted aquariums

30L Aquamanta tank:
    Stocking: 1 Betta, 4 Corydoras Hastatus, 5 Darwin Algae Shrimp, small Nerite snail
    Temperature kept at 26 degrees

My betta's name is Zeus! Really active little fish, and gets along really well with his tank mates. Some images of Zues.

Earlier this year, I started another nano.

20L Do Aqua tank with Aquaclear HOB:
    Stocking: 7 Whilte Cloud Mountain Minnows, 2 Darwin Algae Shrimp
    Temperature kept at 21 degrees

Both tanks are overstocked, I know, but so far the fishes look healthy and everyfish seems happy. I do water changes very 5 - 7 days.

The fishes are getting a rotation of NLS pellets, freeze dried blackworms, Repashy gel food and frozen brine shrimp. They also get a 1 fasting day every alternate week.

Enjoying the hobby so far, any comments to improve are welcomed!

2. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

Your scaping looks professional Wow!

Your bettas are also really nice. Koi, right?

I should mention that you will need a 76 litre tank for your cories and minnows. Once you have done that, add two more cories and they will be happy :)

Also bump the temp up to about 25 degrees for the bettas, and 23-24 for the cories/ minnows.

3. OP
    OP
    imba

Thanks Discus-Tang

I actually re-homed the Cories during the weekend. Sold them on gumtree, and there are going to a much larger tank. It will miss them, but it was the right thing to do. :)

In place of the departed cories, I've added 6 red cherry shrimps, some amazon frogbits and riccia fluitans to the 30L.

Here are just some new pics...:)

New red cherries ...

Here are the cherries and DAS chowing down on some spinach I gave them

Zeus checking out the new frogbit ...

Zeus just hanging out with Nelly the Nerite :)

4. BringKermitBack

A noble thing to do :)

Love your scapes, they are way better than I could ever do!

5. OP
    OP
    imba

Just an update on the 20 litre tank the past couple weeks.

After seeking advice about stocking, I successfully found new homes for my White Clouds as well. The 20 litre is now housing some male endlers, that have settled in and actively swimming around. The endlers suit the scale of the scape much better, so hopefully this sausage fest of endlers do well!

I've also upgraded the light on this tank to a Chihiros A series, and boy are these things bright! They have 5 brightness settings, and I currently have them on the 2nd dimmest setting, and it is still very bright! The endlers don't seem to mind it too much tho.

Some frogbit was also added to provide some cover up top for the fishes and shrimps.

6. OP
    OP
    imba

It was a busy weekend for me. I had a Friday off work, I woke up, fed my Betta, and thought, I should start a community tank! I can only have two tanks, so I basically needed to tear down my 30 litre tank and buy larger tank to fit my on my small side table. Did some measurements, went online and did some research and settled on an Aquaone 60x32x36cm tank that holds 65 litres (close to 20 gallons).

Off I went to my LFS, picked up the new tank, new AC50 filter and some aquascaping driftwood, dragon stone and some new plants. The new tank will remain low tech, without CO2, so the selected plants will all be 'easy' ones, hopefully!

Saying goodbye to the current tank. I love this tank, its my first ever tank, and is healthily running for almost 3 years now. The build in filter is a pain to clean, and I'm really annoyed with it. I think its the right time to change and provide an upgrade for Zues.
    20180816_084814_zpsemxxnqcu.jpg

New 65litre tank, with initial hardscape in.
    b0f7aa14-6210-4e71-b62a-3b4592229ddb-original.jpg

I wanted sand this time, as my plan was to get some cories! so, in with new substrate, sand and aqua soil.
    20198cf6-0846-4744-b148-c241947d2b1e-original.jpg

Next thing to do is to really say goodbye to the 30 litre and tear it down. Transfer the cycled media to the new AC50 filter bucket, and include as much hardscape and plants from the old tank into this new one to help with the cycle.
    ccf42996-f477-4cd2-bdf5-a3a238b84145-original.jpg

After the filter was setup, it was time to plant, and then flood the tank. Some of the new plants I got were vals, bacopa, AR mini, Ludwigia super red, java fern, anubias and some peacock moss attached to the drfitwood. These are suppose to be easy to grow plants, that dont require CO2. This was how it looked immediately after flooding. Threw in an additional heather to get the temperature up.
    fc940739-6fda-4b75-a15e-215b87072e22-original.jpg

I tested the water, expecting an ammonia spike from the aqua soil. But to my suprise, there was no spike. I used Oliver Knot aqua soil this time instead of ADA one.
    58dd8888-2c5b-406f-ad5a-5df92599a736-original.jpg

Next, was to acclimate the livestock, Zeus and his Nerite buddy temperature acclimating, and then later on the 7 shrimps
    6e285106-ab2b-4d6e-9188-4e9c22bb11f6-original.jpg

After an hour, Zues and his buddies in his new home. They were darting around the new tank, excited with all these new space they now have. Lighting is bad, as my new light is arriving in the mail today. I'm just using an IKEA floor lamp temporarily.
    e312d299-cf52-49a9-95cd-caca2c66d0a3-original.jpg

bf099df8-85cf-4557-aa55-e365896449ac-original.jpg

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out after a good long day of work! haha
    I ordered a Chihiros series A plus 60cm light online that was on 30% discount. It should arrive today, and we'll see how it fits with this new setup.

Now, the next step or question is stocking. Its understocked now, and I'll need more bacteria to grow in the new media before adding more fish. I think Zeus will make a perfect center piece fish.

So far, this is what I am thinking of, any thoughts/recommendations?
    1 Male Betta
    7 Darwin Algae Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail
    10 Corydoras Hastatus
    8 Cherry Barbs

7. BringKermitBack

I'd skip the cories. I'd say shoot for 76 litres minimum for all cories. I like the idea of the Darwin Algae Shrimp. I saw them once and was going to buy them but didn't lol.

8. OP
    OP
    imba

oh really? :eek: this dwarf cory only gets about 1 inch full grown tho. Hmm, maybe I'll go a small group of otos?

9. BringKermitBack

Oh them. I think they are mid-dwelling. But they should be OK.

10. OP
    OP
    imba

yeah, they are one of the 3 dwarf cories - hastatus, habrosus and pygmaeus. They all get to about 2 to 3cm. My experience with them is that they are a combination of mid and bottom dwelling. Maybe 12 is too many. Might just go with 8 or 10

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

The cories need cooler water than bettas.

Id do this
    1 betta
    7 shrimp
    1 nerite snail
    2 rabbit snails
    8 kuhli loaches

12. Aquilist

Aquilist Valued Member Member

Woah! It looks so professional! My 'scapes' (if you could call them that.) consist of 5 plants shoved in a corner and a rock hide hehe.

13. BringKermitBack

I relate

14. OP
    OP
    imba

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure aboout Kuhli Loaches, dont really like the way they look. lol. Thoughts about 5-6 otos in place of the 8 kuhlis?
    I haven't seen rabbit snails here in Sydney as well, but they definitely look interesting.

haha thanks! thats basically what I did, put a bunch of rocks and wood in and shove all the plants behind them. ;)

15. OP
    OP
    imba

on another note, my new LED arrived! Ordered on Friday, arrived on Monday! Pretty quick shipping considering it came from the UK.

Chihiros series A plus
    cf578fd4-25d0-4d15-bebd-81e2ad4373c1-original.jpg

Set it on the 3rd brightness setting. Lets hope the plants like it!
    b6661953-3787-422c-9ef9-6d800648adf7-original.png

16. OP
    OP
    imba

another small update as I've been stocking the new tank the past weeks.

I decided to move the betta to his own 20 litre tank, and making the 65 litre a nano community tank.

20 litre
    be30ddff-f9fd-46d3-b92b-dc4b442894a3-original.png

65 litre - Also added a black background to this tank.
    Stocked with:
    10 Tail Spot Pygmy Cory (Corydoras Hastatus)
    14 Lemon White Cloud Minnows (Tanichthys sp. Vietnam)
    4 Male Endlers
    4 Darwin Algae Shrimp
    5 Cherry Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail
    24b841e7-4648-49a4-b29d-af345c611400-original.png

I was super lucky to find the Lemon WCMM at a LFS, as they are really rare. Such a outgoing and beautiful fish! They stay much smaller than regular WCMM at about 2.5 - 3cm, and prefers slighly warmer water too. Will try to get some close up pics of them soon.