Imagitarium Stands (10 And 55) And Leveling Questions

DCL415

Hello,
I got the Imagitarium stands for my 10 Gallon and the 40 long I have on the way, the stands are awesome and easy to set but I have a couple of questions.
1. my floors are hardwood and the house is very old so not perfectly straight, so I have been moving around the adjustable lever until putting my level at the center of the stand the 3 bubbles are centered and the stand is firm (see picture). My question is that if I set the level at the sides the bubbles are not perfectly centered. I tried for long and can't make the 3 positions match with the bubbles centered, so what should I do with the leveling? or should I use a bigger level?
2. the stand come with 4 adhesive pads for the corners but if I put them I am afraid the whole perimeter of the tank won't make contact with the stand but if I don't put them the surface might be a little slippery and the tank might slide.
What's your experience with this stand? Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

20180112_180354.jpg
20180112_180413.jpg

Shane4226

You don't need to buy or get a bigger level. If you have a peice of straight 2by4 that you know is straight you can lay it across the stand put the level on it and it will give you a better overall if you get what I mean. Also you should be laying the level on its edge not on its face

Ed1957

Putting the 2x4 does not change anything. The 2x4 will lay on the surface that the level is on. A larger level may help but I think all you have to do is make small adjustments that are correcting correctly. Try to get all the bottom level s on the legs screwed all the way in and start from there. You will need it adjust length wise and then width wise moving the level 90 degrees.

Shane4226

A 2/4 will in large the space your trying to level it will check the whole peace instead of just checking each spot the level sits on. At least when I'm framing and stuff that's what I do if I don't have my 6ft level but hey if you say it does nothing I guess it doesn't. The reason I say use the 2/4 is cause it makes contact with the whole peace your levelling and not sections. Like your using a 12in level so sure maybe your fronts level but if you can't lay your level along the whole front then the whole back then check cross corner your never going to be 100% level.

Ed1957

True. You are correct. If the pieces that you have the level on is not what the tank is sitting on leveling from those structures will not help. The only problem I have with a 2x4 is my experience is that they are mostly not level.

Rok55

Step 1 - Put the adhesive friction pads on the top corners of the stand.
Step 2 - Place the tank in position on the stand
Step 3 - Using the edge of the level on the top edge of the tank adjust legs of stand to achieve level side to side and front to back.
Step 4 - Fill, cycle, stock and enjoy your new aquarium.

DCL415

Step 1 - Put the adhesive friction pads on the top corners of the stand.
Step 2 - Place the tank in position on the stand
Step 3 - Using the edge of the level on the top edge of the tank adjust legs of stand to achieve level side to side and front to back.
Step 4 - Fill, cycle, stock and enjoy your new aquarium.
Thanks, Tank is cycled and with fish in it it just have been sitting on a desk, so I am just relocating it

Ed1957

Be careful moving a tank with fish and water in it. It puts a lot of stress on the tank. I would take 3/4 inch plywood and slide the tank on. And slide it off onto the stand. The 10 gallon would weight over 80lbs.

DCL415

I am planning of fully drain it put the fish in a bucket while I move the aquarium

Rok55

I am planning of fully drain it put the fish in a bucket while I move the aquarium
I would not recommend fully draining and / or bucketing the fish as it places even additional stress on the fish. The tank can handle a move with a reasonable amount of water in it. I recently had to move two tanks (16g and 30g) to make room for a new 75g, removed about 60% of the water and did the move quite easily. Of course this does assume you can physically lift and carry that much weight or can get somebody to help you.

Ed1957

You should not move a tank with water in it. It puts stress on the seals. Yes you can physically do it but you risk having or getting a leak later. Water weighs around 8lbs a gallon. Sand about 10lbs worth. Your 30 gallon had over 100lbs of weights on it. That is a lot of unsupportive weight. You can do anything you want. Your tank. But I never move my tanks with water in it. I drain most of the water out and slide them on 3/4 plywood and move them that way.

DCL415

Thanks for the replies, tomorrow is the day that I will move it. I will update on how it goes

DCL415

Hey I moved the aquarium and even the level in the center is 95% centered and I have a 5/64 of an inch level of water difference. The aquarium has now 80% of the water capacity. I stopped as soon as I noticed the water difference.
I also bought and installed a foam strip of the same thickness of the circular pads that come with the stand.
Please help before I can finish filling the tank or keep trying to level it

20180114_123052.jpg
20180114_123535-1.jpg

Ed1957

Have a strong guy raise the end you want to screw the level on the leg so the tank rises on that side. Not a good idea to try and level with water in the tank.

DCL415

I thought it was leveled before hand. I spent over 30 mins last night until I got it the best way possible

Ed1957

Drain the tank enough so you can have someone pick up the side of the stand that you want raised.

DCL415

I got it in to 3/64 of an inch (1mm), should I try for more?

20180114_142203.jpg

Ed1957

If you can raise just slightly. Your not going to get it perfect. Do you have it level both ways. Front to back. Side to side.

DCL415

That's what Ive done,the front left and right difference and the side front to back.
The most difference is that 3/64 of an inch that is pretty tiny I think, when get the front perfect the back part gets way off, so I think I am going to leave it there.
Thanks @ed19757

Ed1957

Good job. It may be that your floor is off which makes it even tougher.

DCL415

Yes is an old house with hardwood floors. Where the 40 long is going is more even

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies
Views
Wadsjo15
Replies
Views
Wild Bill
Replies
Views