Imagitarium Frameless Freshwater Aquarium, 6.8 Gal

Shanney

Reaction score
HELP!!!

I have had this tank cycling for well over a month now and cannot get my PH down as well as the new slime that will not go away from the top of the tank. I am pretty convinced that the pump that came with the filter is not strong enough.
Any suggestions on pumps/filters and as to how I get rid of this oil slick on the top of the tank as well as get the PH down with out using chemicals? I did buy a marimo ball but that doesn't seem to be helping anything.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's wrong with your pH? Normally, it's easier to stock for the pH you have, than to be forever fiddling with adjusting it. You might look into a small Aquaclear filter.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you have a surface film you need more surface agitation. Water changes and surface agitation will make it go away with time.

What is your pH? Usually 9/10 times your pH is fine and doesn't need to be tinkered with.

Shanney

Reaction score
Galathiel said:
What's wrong with your pH? Normally, it's easier to stock for the pH you have, than to be forever fiddling with adjusting it. You might look into a small Aquaclear filter.
It is extremely high. I have the API master test kit and the pH is a deep dark blue.

Fahn said:
If you have a surface film you need more surface agitation. Water changes and surface agitation will make it go away with time.

What is your pH? Usually 9/10 times your pH is fine and doesn't need to be tinkered with.
Thats what I thought. I need a stronger filter and my pH is above an 8.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your test look fine. I think your ph is closer to 7.6.

If you aim the outflow nozzle up it should give you enough surface agitation to get rid of the film.

I bought the same tank for my dad to use for a Betta and it’s fine after being setup and ran a little. The pump should have an adjustment on the side to increase or decrease the flow. You could check to be sure yours is turned up all the way if you’re concerned about not enough flow.

Shanney

Reaction score
BKabina said:
Your test look fine. I think your ph is closer to 7.6.

If you aim the outflow nozzle up it should give you enough surface agitation to get rid of the film.

I bought the same tank for my dad to use for a Betta and it’s fine after being setup and ran a little. The pump should have an adjustment on the side to increase or decrease the flow. You could check to be sure yours is turned up all the way if you’re concerned about not enough flow.
I have the nozzel aimed up and the flow all the way up.
I did not flush the pump before I hooked everything up but the tank has been running for almost 2 months.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had the same thing happen (the "slime"). It eventually went away as my tank cycled. I just decided it was an outgrowth of biofilm. My pH is 8.2-8.4. Your betta will be fine at that pH.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom