Image quality

-Mak-

Hi!
I've found that recently after trying to post pictures, my image quality becomes rather reduced.

Here is an example, most obvious in the full tank shot - the original image on my computer is quite crisp, but it becomes very blurry once uploaded to the site.
What substrate can carpeting plants be grown in? | 471612 | Aquarium Plants

Here is a screenshot of what I see, fishlore on the left and my computer on the right - unfortunately the screenshot has also been reduced in quality since it's uploaded here, but hopefully you can see the difference! I think it's most obvious when comparing the fish and hardscape between pictures.

AquaticQueen

The same thing happens to me!

smee82

I believe theres theres a limit to the size and resolution of pictures.

-Mak-

smee82 said:
I believe theres theres a limit to the size and resolution of pictures.
Unfortunately this happens regardless of file size, image size, resolution, or extension type

smee82

-Mak- said:
Unfortunately this happens regardless of file size, image size, resolution, or extension type
Alright ill see what i can find out.

-Mak-

Here is another image uploaded here vs on Imgur:

I should mention what's a little weird is that on Imgur, the image looks blurry in the exact same way as it does on Fishlore, until the image is clicked on to magnify it. Then it looks normal resolution. Also saturation is reduced on Fishlore.
At least this is how it all looks on my computer!

Mike

The forum software resizes large images before saving them. If I recall it resizes anything over 1200x1200 (or 800x1200?). The gallery section allows for a larger file size than the threads on the forum but will still resize images down to 1600x1600 if they are over those dimensions in size.

It's necessary to resize images with the forum software because we would quickly run out of space, especially since new phones keep coming out with larger and larger image sizes.

-Mak-

Mike said:
The forum software resizes large images before saving them. If I recall it resizes anything over 1200x1200 (or 800x1200?). The gallery section allows for a larger file size than the threads on the forum but will still resize images down to 1600x1600 if they are over those dimensions in size.

It's necessary to resize images with the forum software because we would quickly run out of space, especially since new phones keep coming out with larger and larger image sizes.
Hi Mike! Thanks for helping.

I resized this image to 1008 x 756 but unfortunately still has the same problem.

Mike

Oh, I see the issue I think... when attaching images click on the "Full image" button otherwise it'll post a thumbnail version of the image. I edited your post to use the full image and see below how to do it:

-Mak-

Hmm I think the issue actually comes with the act of uploading. Even before I choose thumbnail or full image, clicking on the upload leads to a full size image in a new tab that is still blurry. My post that you edited is still low res

Even this screen shot has reduced resolution

Mike

It does decrease the resolution during the resize process if the image is bigger than what I posted earlier.

jake37

They are probably using a lossy compression to save disk space regardless of the resolution. This is common default configuration of forum software.

-Mak-

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys! I really hope I don't sound like I'm arguing or anything.
Just now I dug out my old laptop and uploaded the image here on the old one. This image I uploaded here is 2000 x 1500. It has been successfully resized to 800 x 600 by the forum, with no quality loss. This is what the image is supposed to look like. So I'm guessing something is going on with how my newer laptop interacts with the site. It's a retina whereas my old one is not. I think it's just some weird display issue on my end.

-Mak-

Yep, now that I'm on my newer laptop everything looks low res again. I might've been rambling on about something you guys can't even see On my old laptop every single picture in this thread looks fine

jake37

I wonder if you have anti-alias or some other image manipulation option turned on. Still it sounds odd if it is that harsh but with drivers these days you never know what they are doing to the bits. Conversely it could be the software.. Best way to tell for sure is to save the image and then reopen it with a reliable image viewer. I mostly run linux these days so i'm using open software stuff not sure what you have on your laptop.

-Mak- said:
Yep, now that I'm on my newer laptop everything looks low res again. I might've been rambling on about something you guys can't even see On my old laptop every single picture in this thread looks fine

-Mak-

jake37 said:
I wonder if you have anti-alias or some other image manipulation option turned on. Still it sounds odd if it is that harsh but with drivers these days you never know what they are doing to the bits. Conversely it could be the software.. Best way to tell for sure is to save the image and then reopen it with a reliable image viewer. I mostly run linux these days so i'm using open software stuff not sure what you have on your laptop.
I don't believe I do. Images uploaded/viewed on other sites look normal. I'm running Mojave on a MacBook Air.

I now think it might have something to do with how retina displays images - it has double the pixel density, so a 800 x 600 px image actually looks really small, like a 400 x 300 on my screen.
I did what you suggested and downloaded my images above and opened them in photoshop. Looks good except it displays like a 400 x 300 now, and when I zoom to 200% (200% makes it look like the normal size on a non-retina display), the resolution is bad because it's zoomed in. I think perhaps when I upload here, it does some scaling to make it look "normal" sized, and loses resolution due to the scaling.

I hope all that makes sense! After googling, I see a lot of questions/articles people have posted related to this. I looks like there's nothing I can do about it, at least people on a non-retina display can probably see my images well!

fish 321

-Mak- said:
I see your problem the one posted on the forum is a little blurry and the colors are less saturated. I have the same problem when posting photos on the forum. Instagram also lowers the quality of images which is really anoying for photographers, like its for posting pictures so you would think they would have that figured out.

julifhy

I had the same problem for a while, but I started cropping my pictures a little bit and if you have and iPhone, turn off the live photo before you post. That's what worked for me at least.

jake37

Do you have the option of changing the resolution of your screen ? I.e, does your graphic setting allow you to change it to 1080p or 1440p ?

-Mak- said:
I don't believe I do. Images uploaded/viewed on other sites look normal. I'm running Mojave on a MacBook Air.

I now think it might have something to do with how retina displays images - it has double the pixel density, so a 800 x 600 px image actually looks really small, like a 400 x 300 on my screen.
I did what you suggested and downloaded my images above and opened them in photoshop. Looks good except it displays like a 400 x 300 now, and when I zoom to 200% (200% makes it look like the normal size on a non-retina display), the resolution is bad because it's zoomed in. I think perhaps when I upload here, it does some scaling to make it look "normal" sized, and loses resolution due to the scaling.

I hope all that makes sense! After googling, I see a lot of questions/articles people have posted related to this. I looks like there's nothing I can do about it, at least people on a non-retina display can probably see my images well!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom