I'ma Goin' Sugarin' [say in singsong voice]

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well I am. Sugaring is a method of using sugary substances to attract moths. Technically, you mix up a vile-smelling goop, slather it on trees, and wait.

This is what I used:

1 1/2 cups beer left in the sun to go flat
1/2 cup white sugar (should've used brown sugar, but we didn't have any)
1 very brown mushy banana (again, should've used two)
1 rotten apple
Theoretically there should also be some honey, but I forgot

Anyways, all that mixed in a blender made a very evil-smelling concotion. Unfortunately, it turned out way less goopy than I thought it was.

I went into the backyard and scooped it up with my hands, then smeared it onto the trunks and branches of a few trees. Sadly, as I said before, it was too liquid-like, and started splattering all over the ground. There was a fair bit that ended up on the bark, though.

When it gets dark, I'll put my fisherman's headlight on, go outside, and see what moths I'll catch.

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
why do you want to attract moths? I'm afraid of insects especially the ones which can fly because they change their direction suddenly and come towards you, it's scary that they are not predictable.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ah, you know, study...survey...all those useful things. Didn't find any this time, and I'm pretty sure that's because it didn't ferment long enough. Did get myself a swarm of drunken fruit flies though. ;D

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok so Ive never heardof this b4.....lol....how bout do u have a concockchin(?) to lure flour moths .....I get them once in a while with bird food......but Ive had some also in my garage.....at one point I was vacuming the ceiling in there to get rid of them....any ideas????

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom