Im25 Lagoon Build Thread

stella1979
Great to see an update! Torn between scapes you say? Well, I'll share a some things that came to mind after it was too late to change my own scape... lol. First, I wish I had more sand space available for the species that I now know I prefer to keep in the sand. Some would require a small rock to get started on but not all. Currently I have rock flower anemones and favias whose permanent spots are at the bottom. I'd also like to have a lobo or two and a clam someday. Add this to the small rocks that I have to keep xenia, which I like, but don't want on my main structure. I also wouldn't mind a small island with green star polyps. Either of these might take over a rockscape, but are beautiful, so best kept isolated. So, you see the idea... there's a lot of stuff that likes low light or is best kept away from your scape, so consider that with your scaping, and leave more open sand if you can. It was definitely a big project for him, but I love Nart 's IM25 scape. He's utilized the rock very well and has plenty of room for coral placement, yet the sand is almost completely open. I guess it's a personal choice, but I think that type of scape gives you the best options if you want a full mixed reef someday.

Really consider the other corals you want too. For instance, might you want an acan or zoanthid garden? You'll need some good surface area for either. Perhaps you'll want to try some SPS corals some day, and they generally like high light and flow. The branching types can create a lot of shade below them though, so better consider where your high points are going to be in relation to the areas that you want for lower light corals.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to go on and on. I rushed things a bit in my excitement to get my tank running, and while I love the look of my scape, there are some challenges in placing corals. Hope this helps!

alexbeal1117
Great to see an update! Torn between scapes you say? Well, I'll share a some things that came to mind after it was too late to change my own scape... lol. First, I wish I had more sand space available for the species that I now know I prefer to keep in the sand. Some would require a small rock to get started on but not all. Currently I have rock flower anemones and favias whose permanent spots are at the bottom. I'd also like to have a lobo or two and a clam someday. Add this to the small rocks that I have to keep xenia, which I like, but don't want on my main structure. I also wouldn't mind a small island with green star polyps. Either of these might take over a rockscape, but are beautiful, so best kept isolated. So, you see the idea... there's a lot of stuff that likes low light or is best kept away from your scape, so consider that with your scaping, and leave more open sand if you can. It was definitely a big project for him, but I love Nart 's IM25 scape. He's utilized the rock very well and has plenty of room for coral placement, yet the sand is almost completely open. I guess it's a personal choice, but I think that type of scape gives you the best options if you want a full mixed reef someday.

Really consider the other corals you want too. For instance, might you want an acan or zoanthid garden? You'll need some good surface area for either. Perhaps you'll want to try some SPS corals some day, and they generally like high light and flow. The branching types can create a lot of shade below them though, so better consider where your high points are going to be in relation to the areas that you want for lower light corals.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to go on and on. I rushed things a bit in my excitement to get my tank running, and while I love the look of my scape, there are some challenges in placing corals. Hope this helps!

Yea I’ve taken all of that into consideration. But still torn between minimalistic scape idea or possibly something that’s interesting like a mix between pillars and arches. I’ll post the pics I’ve taken of ideas I️ like. But I’d really like welso/ trachy (Supposedly if I️ remember correctly they’re classified the same thing now)some day too. Possibly even scolys and lobos as well.

alexbeal1117

e586e3c4d5f2efd24eb781f24dec1997.jpg

755811abd9e29399ee960d1084a4133f.jpg

80d102292dbd0af56111dbde40e8f0bd.jpg

efa6ae9c716b37d9f4d60885d6fd3f01.jpg

b66b44cc2141c350abfbfd5ab1a5ca46.jpg

d7e93d240bc04c319520719e01de6161.jpg

alexbeal1117

e586e3c4d5f2efd24eb781f24dec1997.jpg

755811abd9e29399ee960d1084a4133f.jpg

80d102292dbd0af56111dbde40e8f0bd.jpg

efa6ae9c716b37d9f4d60885d6fd3f01.jpg

b66b44cc2141c350abfbfd5ab1a5ca46.jpg

d7e93d240bc04c319520719e01de6161.jpg

xiholdtruex
They all look good ,I like it too look as natural as possible not like some crazy atlantian ruin lol. The first one leaves room to add islands if you want.

alexbeal1117
They all look good ,I like it too look as natural as possible not like some crazy atlantian ruin lol. The first one leaves room to add islands if you want.

Yea I’m leaning towards that one. Leaves the ability to have islands for corals such as Xenia and GSP.

alexbeal1117

Yea I’m leaning towards that one. Leaves the ability to have islands for corals such as Xenia and GSP.

Advertisement
alexbeal1117
Well I haven’t kept this thread up to date since I’ve been busy. But... something came in yesterday

stella1979
Ru-roh... When I click the link, it leads to an error.

alexbeal1117
Ru-roh... When I click the link, it leads to an error.

Really? That’s weird. Well I got the Aquatic Life 3 Stage RO System and the Dual DI System

stella1979
Awesome!

alexbeal1117
alexbeal1117
So yesterday I went to my LFS and they have a tomato Clown. He’s about an inch and a half. I know he’s been there for a few months. And a few times I’ve seen him with ick but he’s still goin.
I’ve read up on the tomato clowns and looked up care requirements, tank mates, etc. I was wondering if I could get a tomato Clown instead of a percula/ ocellaris? And if so what changed would I have to make to my stocking plan?

alexbeal1117
So yesterday I went to my LFS and they have a tomato Clown. He’s about an inch and a half. I know he’s been there for a few months. And a few times I’ve seen him with ick but he’s still goin.
I’ve read up on the tomato clowns and looked up care requirements, tank mates, etc. I was wondering if I could get a tomato Clown instead of a percula/ ocellaris? And if so what changed would I have to make to my stocking plan?

Hmmm. I think I’m leaning towards no now... I’ve read lots of stories of where they get very dominant and that seems like that could for sure be a problem

stella1979
Hmmm. I think I’m leaning towards no now... I’ve read lots of stories of where they get very dominant and that seems like that could for sure be a problem
I was going to say the same. Clowns can certainly have attitudes, but I've read that the larger varieties like tomatoes and maroons are much worse for aggression than perc/oc clowns. Also, the IM25 is BEAUTIFUL tank, but remember that a 25 is still considered a nano. If a fish has reputation for aggression, you can be sure it will arise in tighter spaces.

alexbeal1117
I was going to say the same. Clowns can certainly have attitudes, but I've read that the larger varieties like tomatoes and maroons are much worse for aggression than perc/oc clowns. Also, the IM25 is BEAUTIFUL tank, but remember that a 25 is still considered a nano. If a fish has reputation for aggression, you can be sure it will arise in tighter spaces.

Yea that’s what I was thinking. Thanks for replying

alexbeal1117
Quick Update! So I finally got my RODI unit set up and flushed. Now just for the lights, salt and refractometer

Advertisement
stella1979
Yay! A very important part of the process is done, and that always feels good. Starting with RODI from the get go is a smart move. No hauling water from the LFS for you.

alexbeal1117
Yay! A very important part of the process is done, and that always feels good. Starting with RODI from the get go is a smart move. No hauling water from the LFS for you.

Yeah, getting one was a priority. I don't think any of my LFS actually carry RODI water except for one 45mins away... So I'm glad I thought ahead. Another benefit of it is, I can mix water for my high tech planted tank too, so I can-control dosing and algae more aswell.

stella1979
I mix RO into Freshwater tanks to make softer water for the fish we want. My tap is harder than a rock! Also, don't forget that you can drink RO instead of buying bottled water.

alexbeal1117
I mix RO into Freshwater tanks to make softer water for the fish we want. My tap is harder than a rock! Also, don't forget that you can drink RO instead of buying bottled water.

That's what I'm doing currently until I get Salty Shrimp Remineralizer.

stella1979
Yay! I have people thinking I'm crazy using RO water for a betta, but my tap is terrible. I remineralize with Seachem stuff.. currently Replenish and a tiny bit of their alkaline buffer. I mix it to a pH of 7.4 but am experimenting in small volumes (fishless) to get it a little bit lower. Someday I will have more soft water fish, and I have a spare 10 gallon just begging to be a shrimp tank if I ever make space to set it up.

alexbeal1117
Yay! I have people thinking I'm crazy using RO water for a betta, but my tap is terrible. I remineralize with Seachem stuff.. currently Replenish and a tiny bit of their alkaline buffer. I mix it to a pH of 7.4 but am experimenting in small volumes (fishless) to get it a little bit lower. Someday I will have more soft water fish, and I have a spare 10 gallon just begging to be a shrimp tank if I ever make space to set it up.

Well if you can provide better water conditions for your fish why not? The RODI system has 2 benefits for me, saltwater use and for use in a hightech freshwater setup. I was just doing tap water and bringing it's pH to around 7-7.1 with the alk buffer. But with the RODI system, I mix 1 part RODI to 3 parts Tap, the use alk buffer.
After a few hours of research on remineralizers, I found that Seachem line of remineralizers can have particles bind up and create very high concentrated globs that can actually burn plants and hurt fish if digested. Salt Shrimp GH+ seems like the best on the market currently so I'm getting that soon to use in my freshwater setups.

alexbeal1117
Well if you can provide better water conditions for your fish why not? The RODI system has 2 benefits for me, saltwater use and for use in a hightech freshwater setup. I was just doing tap water and bringing it's pH to around 7-7.1 with the alk buffer. But with the RODI system, I mix 1 part RODI to 3 parts Tap, the use alk buffer.
After a few hours of research on remineralizers, I found that Seachem line of remineralizers can have particles bind up and create very high concentrated globs that can actually burn plants and hurt fish if digested. Salt Shrimp GH+ seems like the best on the market currently so I'm getting that soon to use in my freshwater setups.

My long run goal for tanks is a UNS 90L for nano fish, and all high tech, the IM25 AIO mixed reef, then a MR. Aqua 22 long softie tank for a pair of pink skunk clowns, which will have a 20 gallon long as a sump. But as well my twin and I are converting my first freshwater tank (29 gallon) to a crypt/ buce/ anubias and tannin tank for beckfordI pencilfish and my pearl gourami, that's her in my profile pic.

alexbeal1117
So I have a few ideas, but I want some other opinions on them. Alright so for lighting I was thinking a ecotech XR15w G4 Pro light or a AI Hydra 26 HD. I know both have their drawbacks and benefits, such as the AI being $50 cheaper and having a better wifI control interface, etc. Not taking in to consideration the price, what light would you recommend?

Now this is my idea for stocking, pretty much finalized...
- O. or P. clownfish I'm thinking a fancy white, smudgy varient of some kind, naked, gladiator, misbar or some mocha varient.
- Scarlet Pin stripe Wrasse
- Blackline Blenny
-Randall's Prawn Goby w/ RandallI pistol shrimp
-Scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp Pair
-Assortment of CuC

So I've been doing some research and came across a Linespot flasher wrasse, some people are keeping them in 29 gallons, 25 gallons, and 30 gallons. But when I research them, I find theyre smallest tank size is a 55 gallon. I know flashers are very active and use pretty much every bit of space in the tank. Do you think instead of the scarelt pinstripe, a linespot flasher would be ok? I wanna see people opinions before I made any decisions.

Thanks for reading and fior any help/ advice you can give me.

alexbeal1117
So I have a few ideas, but I want some other opinions on them. Alright so for lighting I was thinking a ecotech XR15w G4 Pro light or a AI Hydra 26 HD. I know both have their drawbacks and benefits, such as the AI being $50 cheaper and having a better wifI control interface, etc. Not taking in to consideration the price, what light would you recommend?

- O. or P. clownfish I'm thinking a fancy white, smudgy varient of some kind, naked, gladiator, misbar or some mocha varient.
- Blackline Blenny
-Assortment of CuC

So I've been doing some research and came across a Linespot flasher wrasse, some people are keeping them in 29 gallons, 25 gallons, and 30 gallons. But when I research them, I find theyre smallest tank size is a 55 gallon. I know flashers are very active and use pretty much every bit of space in the tank. Do you think instead of the scarelt pinstripe, a linespot flasher would be ok? I wanna see people opinions before I made any decisions.

I have also come across a 4 line wrasse... What I've found is that it's very similar to a 6 line in behavior. Except it's more on the peaceful side and it's a bit smaller (looks better as well in my opinion). Does anyone know anything about them?

alexbeal1117

- Blackline Blenny
-Assortment of CuC

Advertisement
stella1979
Sorry you're not getting much help Alex. I don't have any experience with AI's or Radions, but Nart does, so perhaps he just hasn't seen your thread as the alert system here isn't perfect.

I also don't know much about wrasses, but I understand wanting one in a smaller tank. Perhaps KinsKicks will be around soon. That's our best salty stocking wiz.

alexbeal1117
Sorry you're not getting much help Alex. I don't have any experience with AI's or Radions, but Nart does, so perhaps he just hasn't seen your thread as the alert system here isn't perfect.

I also don't know much about wrasses, but I understand wanting one in a smaller tank. Perhaps KinsKicks will be around soon. That's our best salty stocking wiz.

It's alright. I've been doing lots of my own research, so I'm finding bits of info here and there. I think I will go with the Ecotech, it seems to be the better option for the long run.
I've been going on multiple forums and it seems that people have been keeping a few different wrasses in IM 25s, with succeess. Currently I've found these being the best options (minus possum wrasse and pink streaked wrasse);
- Scarlet Pinstripe
- Four Line
-Lubbock's Fairy
-Yellow Fin Fairy ( C. Flavidorsalis)
-Linespot Flasher

I've seen these wrasse recommended for the IM 25 and 29 gallons. AS well as threads that keep them in IM 25. The fairy wrasse and the flasher are some of the smallest in their genera. The smallest being pretty much impossible to get a hold of. I'm still researching though, and those are just ideas.

Nart
I recommend Radion XR15W Pro Gen 4 for the IM25. It lacks in controllability by itself, but if you can afford it. Go with Radions. 1 XR15 is more than enough for the IM25.

alexbeal1117
I recommend Radion XR15W Pro Gen 4 for the IM25. It lacks in controllability by itself, but if you can afford it. Go with Radions. 1 XR15 is more than enough for the IM25.

Alright I’ll go with the Ecotecch then, thanks for replying!

Nart
alexbeal1117 of course. if you ever need help for anything just DM me on Instagram. I check my IG throughout the day and I think you follow me on there too right?

But yeah, Radion Gen4's are the best LEDs you can buy on the market right now.
I have the XR30W Pro Gen4 over the IM25 right now and it's a beast. Way overkill, but I got those lights with the intentions of upgrading to a bigger tank in the future. So, yeah, XR15s would be a perfect light for the tank.

alexbeal1117
alexbeal1117 of course. if you ever need help for anything just DM me on Instagram. I check my IG throughout the day and I think you follow me on there too right?

But yeah, Radion Gen4's are the best LEDs you can buy on the market right now.
I have the XR30W Pro Gen4 over the IM25 right now and it's a beast. Way overkill, but I got those lights with the intentions of upgrading to a bigger tank in the future. So, yeah, XR15s would be a perfect light for the tank.

Yea I follow you on IG, and thanks, I will if I ever need help with anything.
I was looking around and found the eco techs and researched a bit. They seemed to be better than the AI 26, minus $50 more and being less Controllable. It seems worth it to me for a better light that’s only $50 more. I could definitely reuse it if I do an upgrade in the future.

alexbeal1117
So lately I’ve been working on the waterchange station and getting stuff for that. And I’ve been working on my 29 Gallon tank’s buce collection and growing out some crypts for when I redo it to be a low-medium Light tannin tank.

alexbeal1117

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    533.6 KB · Views: 102
stella1979
Nice! I've been working on my first real effort towards a planted tank as well, a 7.5g betta cube. I've been looking at buce too!

alexbeal1117
Nice! I've been working on my first real effort towards a planted tank as well, a 7.5g betta cube. I've been looking at buce too!

Buce is a pretty great plant. I have maybe 10 different buce. Then soon I plan on getting 4-8 more different ones, some pretty rare ones too. They’re pretty easy to take care of and if you put them in the right area, you can get reds, blues, purples and gold colors to show up.

alexbeal1117
Updates one the way!
IMG_2281.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nart
4 5 6 7
Replies
Views
Sprogladite