I'm worried about my yellow tang.

charzar-g

Hey guys,
I'm wondering if my yellow tang is really underweight, its the first i've really thought about it today, but you can see all of his bones and organse through his skin, and altogether looks thinner than I realised he is....

Would this be because I don't feed any vegetarian foods?? I mean, I have a fair amount of algae growing, some 'rougher' looking algae which I thought he'd eat, and I occasionally see him pecking around the bottom of the glass, but I only feed meaty foods - do I need to start feeding veggies to help keep him healthy??

I really don't think I could bare to loose him, after just loosing my mandarin, spiney sea urchin and a yellow tail damsel... I think i'm going through a very unlucky streak, and I am really piled with work and college at the moment, and another blow might cause me to pack up the tank completeley.

Here are some pictures:

*uploading*

charzar-g

Here are some pictures:

Notice (although you might not be able to in the pictures) he has being doing a poo for a long time now, its just hanging there... Would that be an issue with diet or something?

Stang Man

He does look rather thin I would feed tang with NorI and formula foods that have a lot of green frozen types are way better for them and the norI is seaweed that is dried out and has a lot of nurishment too.

charzar-g

hey, thanks stang man, I will get some as soon as I can, but i'm just terrified that I will loose him before I have the chance... how long do you think he will last??

Stang Man

charzar-g said:
hey, thanks stang man, I will get some as soon as I can, but i'm just terrified that I will loose him before I have the chance... how long do you think he will last??
That is hard to say but you can tell he is active yes? You can purchuse nrI at the grocery store!!!

Meenu

Make sure that the norI sheets are unflavored.

locoyo386

Yes, your Tang is really thin. Are you sure it is eating at all?

charzar-g

Yes, he most definatley eats the meaty foods I put in, and he is still fearly active, and he still pecks at the rocks.. I have noticed he's being pooing a lot though, could this be from incorrect diet??

As for the NorI Sheets, I don't think you can get this in england.. its just seaweed right??

charzar-g

Forgot to add, i'm going to work tomorrow (I work in a pet store) So I shall try and pick up some veggie fish food at the end of the day! I know I need it ASAP... I just hope the fish can hang on in there that long!

locoyo386

I meaty food is all the he is eating, then I will say it is the wrong diet for the fish. I feed my Tangs pellet food, it is a great all around diet food for them. The difficulty comes in getting them to eat the pellets. If you don't want to go that route, then feed him some dried seaweed, as mentinoed above.

O yeah, forgot to mention that if it is malnutrition, they typically have about 3-4 weeks from when you first start noticing that they are getting skinnear. Sometimes they last about a month or so before they start to really go bad to were they will most definetly die. I believe yours still has about 2-3 weeks or so, hopefully it will bemore then that.

Naeusu

you should know Charza that most tangs (like this yellow) are mostly herbivorous. It would be like feeding a dog nothing but carrots...sure he would survive but he would have serious issues. You can't just feed meaty foods, and if he is that thin, then the algae growing in your tank isn't enough. If you don't want to feed nori, then try to supplement with a spirulina flake food or some meaty food mixed with spirulina. it will help him to get some of that veggie back in his system.

Meenu

charzar-g said:
As for the NorI Sheets, I don't think you can get this in england.. its just seaweed right??
It's the stuff they wrap sushI in. It should be available at your grocer. If not there, then an ethnic food store should carry them. SushI is hugely popular in the US right now. I assume it is in England as well.

Stang Man

Yeah I love sushi!!!!! Most fish stores will carry norI on there shelves but is not called norI you can tell by the package that it comes in it's tin sheets of sea weed same as norI and I believe they have garlic in some of them these are okay although like mentioned above about the different flavors not sure about those I have never noticed that in grocery stores. next time I buy norI to make sushI I will look to see!

charzar-g

hey, thanks for the help guys, I had work today and got a marine vegetation frozen food pack, first thing I did when I got home was feed them, the tang was a sight to behold, and munched away! I will do this every day until he is okay again... I did notice he didnt eat some parts though..

Stang Man

The tang will get used to it just give him time and everything should be good also feed norI too because there is a lot of nurishment in that as well!!!!

Stang Man

Stang Man said:
The tang will get used to it just give him time and everything should be good also feed norI too because there is a lot of nurishment in that as well!!!!
Ohh I forgot to if you do choose to feed norI you will need to get a plastic clip with a suction cup on it I'm sure the store you work for has those!!

charzar-g

Cool - thanks so much for the help and support, I will keep an eye out for this norI next time i'm in the supermarket, but i've honestly never seen it before... maybe I just haven't been looking for it

locoyo386

HI there,
How is your Tang doing?

charzar-g

He's doing better, but he still doesn't eat many of his greens. I now feed the greens AND the mysis at the same time (defrost them in a cup and the pour them into the tank with a little of the tank water) and he almost always goes for the shrimp - not the greens! which are in their specially for him!
I am still a little worried, but at least I know I am offereing what he needs now.. IDK if he's looking any fatter though, still pretty skinny...

locoyo386

charzar-g said:
He's doing better, but he still doesn't eat many of his greens. I now feed the greens AND the mysis at the same time (defrost them in a cup and the pour them into the tank with a little of the tank water) and he almost always goes for the shrimp - not the greens! which are in their specially for him!
I am still a little worried, but at least I know I am offereing what he needs now.. IDK if he's looking any fatter though, still pretty skinny...
Try feeding the greens by themselfs and see if he goes for them.

Stang Man

Yeah I'm curious too Charzar-g???????

charzar-g

I'll feed the greens by themself today, like I did on the first day I brought them home, prehaps he just needed a little getting used to...
He doesn't look any skinnier now, but he doesn't look too much fatter either, maybe a little bit, but you can still see his insides.

Stang Man

Sounds to me he will be fine as for being skinny that's common with yellows how big is the tang?

charzar-g

the tang is about 7ish cm long, including tail fin to snout tip. He sure has grown since I got him so teeny tiny! haha!

locoyo386

HI there,

He is of good size and it is a good sign that he is growing. Tangs in general are somewhat skinny, but they have to be plumpy relative to their body style. Meanig that they haave full body but they appear skinny because they are very tall compared to their thikness. I healthy body size is one where you don't see any indentations on the sides of the Tang. If you still see a little indentations on the side of the Tang and are somewhere in the area of the belly, mid length and somewhat closer to the bottom of the height, and they are less pronouced then they were before, that means that the Tang is getting fatter and healthier. It sounds like that Tang is starting to get fatter, which is always a great sign to a healthier Tang. Also, I do not think the Tang will die form starvation or malnutrition now. Still, keep feeding it the greens then the meaty foods, but separate and the greens first.

Stang Man

Charzar have you tried the norI yet?

charzar-g

Found him dead today!
And one of the banggaI cardinals was dead too! :'(

I know what you're all thinking, something must be wrong with my water, but I believe the banggaI was killed by the other one - who had been picking on him for so long now, he must have just given up the fight finally... I tried netting him out once, but its impossible with the amount of rock I have, and how shy the little guy was.

As for the tang... I have no idea.. maybe he just didn't get his greens..?
I feel so guilty for both of them I could cry =[

Meenu

I'm very sorry, Charlie.

charzar-g

Consult this thread:

Stang Man

Ohh man that's a bummer. Sorry for the loss!!!!!!! Better luck next time for sure. So you are saying that the fish were picking on each other? Can you give more detail to this happening? Some thing doesn't sound right. If the fish were eating what happened?

charzar-g

Only the cardinal picked on the other cardinal (the one that died) All the others got on well, according to the other post i've linked to above, the tang could have had an internal parasite??? As for the other deaths, they're still unexplained..

locoyo386

Sorry about for you fish dying. In this hobby you will get a lot of unexplained deaths. Fish often die without any vissible explanation, as if they just decided to give up and die. Well hope all your other fish are doing great and don't give up because once you get a tank nice and settled to where you are not in need to add anything else, it can be the greates thing to look at when you feel down or just want to relax. The saltwater fish are very ammazing and very intelligent fish.

Stang Man

Are you adding supplements to your water? Did you see Anything on the fish when you pulled them out such as swollen gills or marks on the fish any where?

new_sw_gurl

Sorry for your loss!!

charzar-g

Thanks guys,
And nope, no marks or anything, nothing that struck me as out of the ordinary, apart from being skinny still... I thought he was getting on his way better again :/

locoyo386

HI there,
I noticed that you do not seem to have a lot of water movement in your tank, do you have any internal powerheads?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom