Im Worried About My Mystery Snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Julie Gonzalez, Jun 22, 2018.

1. J

Julie Gonzalez New Member Member

I recently had purchased my mystery snail and the lady had told me that he was covered in algae, i found that kind of strange and when i looked at him he it was kid of dark, the color was around blackish instead of green. so when i brought him home i lightly brushed his shell and most of it came off. I need help in how to clean him and making sure he's happy and healthy before putting him in my tank with my other fish. Im really worried about the poor thing, he looks like the pet store owners didn't take good care of him :( IMG_1862.jpg IMG_1864.jpg IMG_1865.jpg IMG_1866.jpg

2. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

If it's algae on his shell, it won't hurt him.

3. OP
    OP
    J

okay thank you so much, her name is cheese and i have already put he run my tank, my other snail flash has already climbed on her shell and cleaned it, it looks the same but i think its just the damage she has on her shell so ill be getting the calcium she needs to have a healthy shell again :)

4. j

jay3 Valued Member Member

I just bought two black mystery snails and one has a greenish algae-like colouration on his shell. Maybe it’s the same as what Cheese had? (The white is just crushed cuttlebone that settled on him) IMG_0147.JPG

5. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Looks like algae to me.

6. OP
    OP
    J

Cheese was only covered from the top of the shell, have you tried researching how to take it off? I heard you can quarantine them and leave them in a dark room (maybe a closet) for two days (dont forget to feed him/her) and the algae will die down enough for you to be able to brush it off. But the thing that helped Cheese the most was Flash (my other snail) i just put flash on top of Chees's shell and he cleaned away!

7. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Valued Member Member

Algae is normal I dont have much problems with algae ON my snails but I have a ton of them and they are very active and always climbing all over each other. For her shell I would reccomend calcium powder like what you use for reptiles. (Just make sure there's nothing else besides calcium in it and maybe a little D3 but absolutely nothing else) I also like to feed veggies or algae wafers high in calcium every once or twice a week.(green beans or spinach are favorites among mine) Between feeding some kind of high protein diet daily. Mine really love shrimp, worm, krill, or fish meal products. Good luck with Cheese!

8. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone's help!

9. j

jay3 Valued Member Member

I think I’m going to try putting my other snail on top of him first. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice