I'm worried about my Molly!

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Drama Llama, Jul 23, 2015.

1. D

Drama Llama New Member Member

Hi Everyone!

I went to my local pet shop recently with the intention of getting a couple of goldfish to keep in a fish tank I found when tidying my loft. After finding out the size that goldfish grow to I was convinced by the shop keeper that some tropical fish would be a better option for me but.... I now feel in over my depth!!!

I have a 21litre tank with two mollies, two guppies and two snails as the inhabitants and I have to say I utterly adore them all! I never thought fish could have so much personality!

The problem is one of my mollies seems to be not quite right. I think he is a boy and he seems to have to move his fins a lot in order to get around as well as sort of sinking and spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank. He also has a small orangey red splodge on one if his sides which has developed over the last week.

I'm really worried I'm doing something wrong and hurting them! I woukd be so grateful if anyone could give me any advice or guidance. I just want to keep my fish happy and healthy and as I said before I am a complete novice!

Thank you!!!

2. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

21 liters, I think that's too small for mollies. Their minimum is 20gallons. So it could be that they're stressed from not having enough swimming room.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    D

Oh no! The guy in the store said I could have up to four mollies in this tank

4. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Your tank is overstocked and 21L is too small for mollies and guppies min for a molly is 20G (75L) and a guppy is 10G (37L). I would recommend the mollies and guppies to be in a 30G tank though. Your fish might be stressed out because of the size of the tank. The only thing you can really do with a 21L tank is a betta and some snails.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Oh okay, thank you! Any idea what the red mark is?

6. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Could be a sore or an infection. Do you have any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Gekco

No I have no clue what the red mark could be, someone else might be able to help if you can upload a photo of the red mark.

As for buying fish in the future I would recommend that you do research on the fish you want to buy and / or post here and we will let you know our opinions on the fish you want to buy.
    The sad truth about some (not all) fish store is they will tell you what you want to know. All they want to do is sell you fish and they will do what ever it takes to do so.

8. OP
    OP
    D

I've just been trying to get a picture but it doesnt really show up (my phone is a bit naff) but the red mark of only about two or three scales it's very small.

That's so sad! :'(

As I said in the OP I only went to get a goldfish as I (wrongly) thought they'd be okay in the tank but the guy in the store convinced me that tropical fish would be better and I assumed that he knew what he was talking about and I just bought what he suggested.

I feel so terrible for being so naive and putting these poor fish in an unsuitable environment :(

I will have to try and find a bigger tank asap!

I will also be writing a letter if complaint to the pet shop manager!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  9. Gekco

If you have any questions we are all hear to ask, if you have any question as away no matter how dumb you think it is. I'm glad that you are going to try and get a bigger tank for your fish :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you for being so supportive!
    I just feel like such a idiot I will definitely do my research next time.
    Do you think the red mark could be caused by the other fish? The other molly does chase him around sometimes.

11. Gekco

It's not your fault, you got given the wrong information. The red mark could be caused by the other fish, if it is two or three scales small then I think it might be missing scales. Just a quick question, do you know the Nitrogen Cycle?

12. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there and welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Cool username! :D

Yes, your tank is very overstocked, I'm afraid. The mollies will need at the very least 20g, and the guppies need at least 10g. Depending on the type of mollies you have, you might need a bigger tank.

As for the red spot, can you post a picture?

Do you know your water parameters?

How often are you doing water changes?

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle?

The molly that's sick, does he appear to be getting picked on by the other fish?

As for the pet store's advice, Gekco is right, they'll often tell you pretty much anything to get you to buy something, sadly. But it wasn't your fault, you didn't know any better, we've all been there at some point or another, sweetheart. :)

13. OP
    OP
    D

Hi :) thank you!

Unfortunately my camera is rubbish and it doesn't show up on pictures :S but it's very small and an orangey/red colour.

I'm sorry I don't even know what water parameters are :(

I'm doing a 25% water change every couple of days

I've read a little about the nitrogen cycle but I'm not sure how you tell if it's happened or not :/

He does seem to be getting chased quite a bit by my other molly.

Thank you so much for being so understanding. I'm so grateful! ♡

14. BornThisWayBettas

Is he still eating?

It's okay, I didn't really know what water parameters were too well either when I joined the forums! Water parameters will include ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH. I'd recommend testing your water parameters by buying an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it'll save you TONS of money in the long run! :D

Keep up the water changes in this case, imo.

You'll know when it's happened by testing your water parameters. :) When the tank has completed cycling, you'll have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and somewhere under 20-40 (I prefer to keep it under 20) ppm nitrate. Small amounts of nitrate is normal and doesn't hurt anyone, but ammonia and nitrites in any amount can cause stress, sickness, and death. You do water changes to prevent the nitrates from building up too much, because in extreme amounts, nitrates can be harmful.

As for pH, really depends on what fish you're keeping, but I've heard that many (if not most) fish will adjust to whatever pH.

Do you have another tank that you can keep the molly in that's heated and filtered?

Aw, you're welcome. :) Like I said, we all totally get it, as we've all (most of us at least haha!) been in your shoes at some point. :;hug2

15. OP
    OP
    D

Yes he is still eating but he only really seems to like the red flakes.

Thank you for explaining that to me! :D

I've taken my water to the pet shop and they've tested it and said it's fine.

I will invest in a testing kit though so I can do more tests.

Unfortunately I only have this tank at the moment :(

Thank you so much! ♡

16. Gekco

What's your water temperature at? Also you might be bake to use API Stress Coat to help with the red mark on your Molly.

17. OP
    OP
    D

The temperature is 26°c

Thank you I will try the Stress Coat :)

18. Gekco

Ok your temperature seems to be in the safe range, I wish you luck in treating your Molly and I hope your fish pulls through :)

If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask, we are all here to help and we are more the happy to help you.

19. BornThisWayBettas

When you said that the shop said your water parameters were "fine", did you get the exact numbers? Also, did you notice what they were using to test your water with? If it's too much trouble to go back over there with another water sample, I'd try calling them and asking them if they remember you and your water parameters and what they used to test the water with, if you can. :)

20. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

What color is your molly with the red/orange spot? It's possible it's just the fish's natural coloration developing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice