Im wondering if this potting soil is ok for aquarium

Wabbit

Member
when i planted the tank it had brownish water and it seems its leaking tannins

Ph is blue 7.6 or above
ammonia is light yellow green tint just a little bit
nitirite is blue none 0
nitirate is yellow with orange tint small amount.

expert gardener potting soil

ingredients say " low duct, ssphagnum peat moss, peat, processed softwood bark and perlite, not recommended as a fertilizer product. this product is low analusis fertilizer.

Expert Gardener Indoor and Outdoor Potting Soil Mix, 1 cu. ft. Bag - Walmart.com

im experiencing hydrogen sulfide bubbles.
 

Neppley

Member
No soil will cloud up the water and turn into mud. Try substrates ment for aquatic plants that can be added in to a fish tank.
Do you have a filter in your tank? The substrate you are using now may be unfit for your tank. Do you have any fish in your tank?
 
  • Thread Starter

Wabbit

Member
Neppley said:
No soil will cloud up the water and turn into mud. Try substrates ment for aquatic plants that can be added in to a fish tank.
its already a made tank theres this on the bottom, play sand, then aquarium small gravel

no fish in the tank the potting soil is at the bottom then there is a layer of sand, then small aquairum gravel then bigger aquarium gravel on the black side and the sand side is the white aquarium gravel
 

Neppley

Member
If you don't have a filter then get one. Also the play sand may be the reason the water is cloudy.
 
  • Thread Starter

Wabbit

Member
Neppley said:
If you don't have a filter then get one. Also the play sand may be the reason the water is cloudy.
i have an topfin filter for a 5 gallon tank ef-s filters but theyre clogged with brown sludge
 

Neppley

Member
Clean the filter and do a 50-70 percent water change and take out the play sand. Hope this helps.
 
  • Thread Starter

Wabbit

Member
play sand is under everything :/ im not interested in redoing the tank i could do water changes, but you seem to be ignoring my original question with remedies to something else. Most of this site does this.
 

SouthAmericanCichlids

Member
Wabbit said:
when i planted the tank it had brownish water and it seems its leaking tannins

Ph is blue 7.6 or above
ammonia is light yellow green tint just a little bit
nitirite is blue none 0
nitirate is yellow with orange tint small amount.

expert gardener potting soil

ingredients say " low duct, ssphagnum peat moss, peat, processed softwood bark and perlite, not recommended as a fertilizer product. this product is low analusis fertilizer.

Expert Gardener Indoor and Outdoor Potting Soil Mix, 1 cu. ft. Bag - Walmart.com

im experiencing hydrogen sulfide bubbles.
I forgot to rinse play sand once, and I could not see through the tank for a week, luckily no fish were in there.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
I wouldn’t use soil that’s not meant for aquarium use. I use and recommend fluval stratum
 
  • Thread Starter

Wabbit

Member
AggressiveAquatics said:
I wouldn’t use soil that’s not meant for aquarium use. I use and recommend fluval stratum
thanks the soil is already in there ill look for that in the future. Im going to reduce the tank to 50 % water and heat up the tank to 84 for 4 days because there was fish with ich in it. theyre all dead now. Im gonna have to deal with this hydrogen sulfide. and im just gonna add more plants to this tank and prepare it for shrimp. I heard shrimp can stand higher concentrations of hydrogen sulfide. Im kinda looking for someone with experience in this situation. I saw online some potting soil is useable for tanks.
 

AggressiveAquatics

Member
Wabbit said:
thanks the soil is already in there ill look for that in the future. Im going to reduce the tank to 50 % water and heat up the tank to 84 for 4 days because there was fish with ich in it. theyre all dead now. Im gonna have to deal with this hydrogen sulfide. and im just gonna add more plants to this tank and prepare it for shrimp. I heard shrimp can stand higher concentrations of hydrogen sulfide. Im kinda looking for someone with experience in this situation. I saw online some potting soil is useable for tanks.
IMO I would take it out. From the pictures it looks like it has those little fertilizer balls which would leak out over time. Plus it’s made with peat moss which softens water and different types of bark which will rot under water over time
 

Cherryshrimp420

Member
Your setup is fine.....just needs thicker capping substrate if you want to prevent cloudiness. Usually every 1 inch soil needs 3 inches of capping sand.
 
  • Thread Starter

Wabbit

Member
Cherryshrimp420 said:
Your setup is fine.....just needs thicker capping substrate if you want to prevent cloudiness. Usually every 1 inch soil needs 3 inches of capping sand.
thanks for the replies everyone. ill take all information into consideration.
 

LaNae

Member
Wabbit said:
thanks the soil is already in there ill look for that in the future. Im going to reduce the tank to 50 % water and heat up the tank to 84 for 4 days because there was fish with ich in it. theyre all dead now. Im gonna have to deal with this hydrogen sulfide. and im just gonna add more plants to this tank and prepare it for shrimp. I heard shrimp can stand higher concentrations of hydrogen sulfide. Im kinda looking for someone with experience in this situation. I saw online some potting soil is useable for tanks.
I too have a potted tank with just regular potting soil. It was doing well, hardly leaking tannin at all. Then I had a fish go rooting around and disturbed the "seal" snow my tank has a muddy look. I am going to buy more aquarium gravel and HOPE I can re-seal it. However I was doing some research and one aquarium owner made that statement that the tannin wasn't harmful for the fish... but rather just for the Aquarium owner's ego... my fish are happy and healthy. My fish in my OTHER tank... aren't as bright, or busy. So I'm still trying to seal the soil (for my ego) and I'll let you know if I have success and what I did to get it.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom