29 Gallon Tank I'm trying to do right by my new pets

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have never posted anywhere so please be forgiving. I've never had a fish aquarium either so...please tell me if my stocking is okay. I was using aqadvisor which is gone now, and I guess some don't trust. I've tried to read up online. The only habitat issue I've had is my silly panda cories starting digging up and ingesting FloraMax and one died. I immediately moved my livestock out and removed ALL the substrate. I changed to pool filter sand with root tabs as that was the best thing available. The others seem happy now. I also am making sure some food gets to the bottom, but I can see the sand is helping them get to it too. I had medium rock over the FloraMax. Okay so 29 gallon: 9 harlequin rasbora, 5 panda corydoras, 3 otocinclus vittatus, 1 super chill & friendly male betta splendens, and 3 mystery snails with one egg clutch. I have driftwood, catappa leaves, sponge filter, hob with sponge pre-filter, two heaters set to 80. I read that the pandas like it a little cooler but the betta is clearly unhappy when it is. I have full-spectrum fluorescent lighting with still small plants: red wendtiI crypt, S. repens, 1 anubias petite and 1 banana plant. Thank you for reading and for any suggestions!!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome here!! sounds like you did some good research already and that IMO can be one of the best things to do to have the best success in this amazingly rewarding hobby. I didn't see you mention a test kit or water conditioner. I would suggest an API freshwater kit over bringing your water to the store to be tested and when you do your water changes ( WC's ) that you use Seachem Prime a little bit goes a long way. Good luck. And lastly pics are always encouraged!!

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome! I’d love to see pictures! Your tank sounds perfect :) good on you for doing research!

OP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I started the tank using tap water with a conditioner (my kids have had bettas). But I am slowly switching to using more RO water that I found a free source for. I bought a new test kit so I could watch my hardness and it was crazy high in the tap water. I will bring it down to a more reasonable level. I also forgot to mention that I use cuttlebone for the snails. My tank was cycled fully before fishies and I added only about 3 a week. Thanks!

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Get a not too powerful power-head and watch the H Rasboras dance in it! Even my lazy betta makes a head long dive into the power-head now and then! Re the heat, corydoras are bottom feeders and in my mind, I imagine the water to be cooler on the bottom???? I try to keep all tanks at 78, but winter is cold and even when they dip to 76F, the betta doesn't seem to notice.

OP

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
juniperlea said:
Get a not too powerful power-head and watch the H Rasboras dance in it! Even my lazy betta makes a head long dive into the power-head now and then! Re the heat, corydoras are bottom feeders and in my mind, I imagine the water to be cooler on the bottom???? I try to keep all tanks at 78, but winter is cold and even when they dip to 76F, the betta doesn't seem to notice.
Thank you, I believe I will try to tweak the heaters back to 78 again. With all my substrate drama last week, I am probably just being nervous. Everyone was somewhat stressed. He normally goes up to the HOB's stream and surfs it. He checks out everything new in the tank. In the beginning, everything hid from him and he desperately wanted to hang with them. It was so cute him trying to slither up near them.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom