Im trying to breed red wag platys

1. CodyJ

CodyJ Valued Member Member

Alright tell me if I can my fish can breed..alright one of the red wag platys has a 7 shaped anal fin and its transparent sorta and the other as a matter fact is a boy....do females have 7 shaped anal fins

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

From what I understand, sexing them is fairly easy. There should be 3 fins on the under belly towards the rear of the fish, in a triangle formation with 2 in front. On a female, all three will look similar, on a male, the rear fin (furthest back) will be much more pointed than the other two. I'd be willing to take a guess if you post pictures, hope that helps.

3. OP
    OP
    CodyJ

CodyJ Valued Member Member

Ok I can't I wish I could post pictures but I can't but how I'm understanding this is that the fish I think is a girl its a boy and the other one is a girl

4. B

BrandiW88 New Member Member

I have breed my femals a few times now. I have breed mine with swardtails which many of the platties you buy in the store are already hybrid. But yes on the female the fin is very full on the male it is more of a point or a spear. When you have one of each it is very easy to tell the difference! If you have had them in together this whole time you should be expecting fry soon. Their pregnancy lasts about 1 month. The mother will look very bloted and then you will see fry swimming about in the tank! If you're not using a breeding tank your platy may eat some or all of the babies but if you have hidding spots in your tank there will be some that survive. Once they are 3 days old the parents can no longer eat them due to they will not fit in their mouthes anymore. They will start to swim more freely and become part of your tank at this point. The fry grow fast! After about a month you will be able to sex your fry. From what I am to understand the warmer the tank the more male the colder the more females. I have only gotten females thus far due to the fact that I keep my tank between 74 and 76. The closer to 80 you get the more males there will be. Good luck and I hope my experiance has helped you!