I'm trying not to have a black thumb! WARNING: HEAVY WORDED!!

Goldie&Yami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I've gotten pretty heavy into houseplant collecting. Only problem I'm making several mistakes!! I have a few ivys I've had for about 2 yrs and they are doing....ok. I'll post pics and any advice to get them healthier would be much appreciated.
Pics 1-4
Also about a month ago I bought a couple new little plants I somehow accidentally killed. One was too gone for me to try to save. The other I'm trying real hard to bring back but it's not going well. I'll post pics.
Pic 5 and 6 is a sickly ivy. Pic 7 and 8 is the completely dead plant. Pic 9 and 10 is the after pic of the ivy after I trimmed and repotted it. It's still very droopy.
Now I just recently bought a couple more plants and I would love some advice on how to be successful with them. Thanks in advance guys!
The 3 pics in the comments are the new plants I got today which I'm hoping I didn't accidentally Lysol poison while I was disinfecting the grocery's my husband had just got. :banghead:

Attachments

OP
Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't use tabs, but I pot in Miracle grow and I water with bottled drinking water. I do spritz every once in awhile with water from my tap should no stop doing that?

Dennis57 said:
The soil looks very dry, have you watered them?
Recently yes. I took these before I watered.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldie&Yami said:
Recently yes. I took these before I watered.
How much water do you give them? How much miracle grow and how often do you feed them? How much Sun do they get?

OP
Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The sick ivy is in west window. I just placed all my reds in north window so I will see how that does. And my Ivy's are in a west window with sun somewhat coming through the blinds because one only likes medium light and the other 2 only like part sun. Also I read that philodendron don't like direct sunlight.
I don't really feed them after I pot them I just add more soil once it gets low. And I pot half and half. Half miracle grow and half the soil it's already in.
I water them once a week or 2 just when the soil is dry and I give it water until it starts draining out the bottom.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Try keeping them out of direct sun, I keep mine either in a room or when I bring them outside for fresh air I keep them in all shade. I usually add like 16oz a week to most of my plants ( they are huge ) and most are in very large containers (10 gallons)

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You probably know more than me with plants, but I had an ivy that got very droopy and turns out it had no roots, so maybe check to see if there’s something wrong with the root system.
image.jpg

It’s Just sitting in a vase but it’s not dying so... lol

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This my only house plant. The rest are in my tanks. This thing has been alive for more than 15 yrs. I throw tank water in once in awhile. I think it's a porthos. Sits there kinda in the dark green and growing.
20200407_163433.jpg

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SM1199 said:
StarGirl15, what you have there is actually a philodendron. Very similar to pothos, but with minor differences. :D
It has really small leaves. I thought Philodendron had big leaves?

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
It has really small leaves. I thought Philodendron had big leaves?
The opposite, actually! I have come across pothos growing wild a few times, and the leaves are bigger than your head! The photo below was taken in Florida, and is nothing compared to what I found in Mexico, but I don't have a photo from Mexico so this will do.

20200309_114350.jpg

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Interesting discussion abut the differences but it doesn't help the OP. Let's please stay on topic.
Thank ya :)

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
what's the difference then?
The easiest way to tell the difference is that philodendrons are more heart-shaped whereas pothos is shaped more like a water droplet. Look at the base of the leaf, and see if the edge of the leaf goes backwards toward the stem just a little bit before following to the tip (which yours does), which makes a heart-shaped leaf. Also look for the sheaths at each node that turn brown and papery as the rest of the plant ages, which indicates a philodendron.

Edit: Sorry Lucy! Posted this at the same time you posted.

OP
Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm having a hard time understanding the medium light, part sun, light sun stuff. It's not very specific. So it makes it hard to know where in my house to put certain plants. How do I know how much water to give them? And what does the rips, holes, and crispy parts of the leaves on my plants mean?

OP
Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
erinw347 said:
You probably know more than me with plants, but I had an ivy that got very droopy and turns out it had no roots, so maybe check to see if there’s something wrong with the root system.
image.jpg

It’s Just sitting in a vase but it’s not dying so... lol
StarGirl15 said:
This my only house plant. The rest are in my tanks. This thing has been alive for more than 15 yrs. I throw tank water in once in awhile. I think it's a porthos. Sits there kinda in the dark green and growing.
20200407_163433.jpg
This is interesting I didn't know you could grow out these plants in just water.

StarGirl15 said:
what's the difference then?
SM1199 said:
The easiest way to tell the difference is that philodendrons are more heart-shaped whereas pothos is shaped more like a water droplet. Look at the base of the leaf, and see if the edge of the leaf goes backwards toward the stem just a little bit before following to the tip (which yours does), which makes a heart-shaped leaf. Also look for the sheaths at each node that turn brown and papery as the rest of the plant ages, which indicates a philodendron.

Edit: Sorry Lucy! Posted this at the same time you posted.
StarGirl15 your philodendron is the exact same as mine in my pics. Yours just looks healthier in my opinion.
It's totally fine I posted this specifically to learn more about the plants I am keeping to help me better care for them. So any new information is helpful in my eyes!! ❤

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldie&Yami said:
This is interesting I didn't know you could grow out these plants in just water.

StarGirl15 your philodendron is the exact same as mine in my pics. Yours just looks healthier in my opinion.
It's totally fine I posted this specifically to learn more about the plants I am keeping to help me better care for them. So any new information is helpful in my eyes!! ❤
Mine has been in just water in a flower vase for over a year now. I put tank water in once in awhile.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom