I'm torn on what to do...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by fallonrhea, Jul 25, 2015.

1. f

fallonrhea Valued Member Member

So I have two tanks that need some rearranging. One is unfiltered and has one male butterfly betta in it, 5.5 gallon no filter.... the other is a 10 gallon aquarium with two african dwarf frogs, a male dragon scale betta and a bn pleco, with a filter. I want to put my frogs in the 5.5 because it has a tight lid. But I want the bettas in there because I have a divider that will fit in there. I have to do what will be best for the species rather than my convenience. The only thing is, I can't get another filter for this 5.5. My mom will flip if I have three full set ups going in my bedroom. I need help with what will be best in this situation... should I just make a lid for the 10 gallon out of mesh? Or a divider for the 10 gallon out of mesh..? Please help!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there!

Well, your BN pleco is too big and messy for a 10g, just so you know. And the ADFs are best off in species-only tanks.

As for the original post, I found it a little hard to understand, I'm afraid. What's wrong with the setup you have now?

3. OP
    OP
    f

I wanted to do species only tanks but I don't know if the filter/larger tank should go to the bettas or frogs.

4. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Honestly IMO it depends how much you have if each specie. A betta I believe will be fine in anything bigger than a 5 gallon, so if you have 1 betta then give the betta the smaller tank if it's bigger than 5 gallons. Since you have 2 ADFs I would give them the bigger tank.

However I'm not an expert on either of the species, BTWB should be able to help you out with the betta.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. BornThisWayBettas

Well, technically speaking (I'm about to say something very controversial, so WARNING!!!), bettas, ime, can survive without filters. My main concern is keeping two in a 5 gallon tank with no filter, as I don't know how well 5 gallons will handle the bioload of two bettas.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if ADFs can "survive" without a filter, Lucy might know.

Although, overall, I'd say the setup you have now might be the best you can do for now.

6. OP
    OP
    f

That's why I'm torn right now. I don't even like having the one betta with out the filter. And now that this other betta has had the large tank and filter for so long I don't want to take it away from him... he actually likes the water flow. He plays in it.

7. BornThisWayBettas

Well, if everyone's happy as is, why change it? I'm not being critical or anything like that, I'm just truly wondering. :)

8. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

African Dwarf Frogs do not neeeeeed filter. We often see posts about something needing something when in reality they often do well without it. (ie filters for adf's and bettas)
    Of course having one allows a tank to cycle which makes maintenance easier.
    However, with very frequent water changes (like every other day depending on tank size) they can do without one.

9. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

If things are working and maintenance is easy I would leave the tanks as they are. Moving things around may be asking for trouble.

10. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

Also, if you don't have a filter you need to do more water changes, or else the water starts to smell and gets slimy (at least ours did).

11. BornThisWayBettas

Yes, it does smell and get slimy with bettas at least, but you really have to put your nose like an inch above the water for it to really become noticeable. But yeah, the slime was definitely there for me haha! I don't think it really looks bad or anything, just if you stick your finger in the bowl/tank you'll feel the slime as well as being able to feel the slime up to the point to where the water came up to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice