I'm Thinking Of Planting.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Fashooga, Apr 20, 2017.

1. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

So I've been on this forum for quite a few years and all that, on and off. Recently I just purchased 3 Blue Acara's, a BN pleco and some other tetras in the tank. My plastic foliage while stiff is still green and clean thanks to the BN.

However I'm thinking of finally jumping in and want to maybe plant some real plants. I'm not sure how to go about it, yeah sounds stupid...

1. So if I plant stuff in my tank will it affect any of the fish I have? Will the BN have a field day and just chow down on the plants?
    2. I'm a basic man...I just want simple plants and I don't plan on buying a CO thing. Will this be a problem?
    3. If I start planting greens in the tank is there risk that my fish could get sick or killed?

Thanks, I'll probably ask more questions as I go with this, assuming if there are answers.

2. The salientValued MemberMember

Fish will love the plants as they will nibble on them and hide in them, some fish like goldfish will eat plants a lot however I been lucky in that field with my goldfish they just nibble the algae off all of them for me, your pleco however will up root them and suck on the leaves but again my pleco don't fuss with them other than to clean them, every fish like people have different personalities and will react different to everything, if ur looking for simple plants for beginners anacharis is good which u can float or plant them,floating them will help cut down on algae growth as it blocks some light, amazon swords, java ferns,and anubias plants are other good ones for you they are hardy and plecos don't like java ferns cause they taste sour or bitter to them, they will not harm your fish and they will be great for ur aquarium both to the eye and more natural looking and will absorb ammonia and nitrites and convert them to oxygen, I have a low tech tank like u and do not use co2 but I do dose once or twice a week with seachem flourish, I used to use API leaf zone but I think I'm getting better results with the flourish, u do t need to plant the java ferns just stick in gravel and do not bury the crown.

3. The salientValued MemberMember

When I buy plants from the store or order online I always spray a good dose thoroughly with peroxide let sit for few mins then rinse really well and repeat a couple times,this will ensure u do t put any un wanted super secret hidden snails on them or other bacteria

4. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

So maybe get something simple to start with? I guess I'll never know unless I try it.

5. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

The lighting you have will have a great effect on the plants you can have. We have only have java ferns and anubis in the live bearer tank. Both are very easy to grow with no additives added. Both are med to low light plants.

6. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Cool, I'll start small and see what happens...Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice