I’m the only person that can’t keep vallisneria

lojack

Hi all.
This is more of a general question as to what I might be missing with keeping various types of vallisneria.

Over the last decade I’ve tried to keep different types off and on. They all end up with root rot and float around until gone.

Most recently, I tried “jungle” vallisneria which initially grew like crazy. Tons of runners and plants got to about 2’ tall. Slowly but surely, each individual plant would have its roots rot away and they’d end up floating around the tank until dead.

This happens with runners and also replanted ones. I try to put the roots more shallow or deeper but the outcome is always the same.

Prior to this batch, I had tried “corkscrew” about 5 years ago with the same results. And before that, about 10 years ago I tried with a different variety and same thing. But before they all died, they started growing really stunted plants that were similar in size to dwarf sag

It’s a low tech tank and it gets root tabs and an all in one liquid fert (mainly to put in anything missing from fish food/poop). Once the plants got going I would give them additional root tabs assuming they might not be receiving enough ferts.

Any tips appreciated regarding the root rot in case I get the vallisneria bug again in 5 years lol.

PAcanis

I apparently can't keep it.
I had three plants that melted off and never returned. Everything else in that tank doing fine.

Dunk2

Hi all.
This is more of a general question as to what I might be missing with keeping various types of vallisneria.
Nope, I‘m right there with you. :confused:

I have no clue if this is true, but I blame my inability to grow Vals on my very soft water.

lojack

Edited first post. Apparently I hit post before done lol.

I have no clue if this is true, but I blame my inability to grow Vals on my very soft water.
And I have the opposite… really really hard liquid rock water lol.
I apparently can't keep it.
I had three plants that melted off and never returned. Everything else in that tank doing fine.
Same here. I’ve been able to grow almost everything I’ve tried except Val. Always melts from the roots

TClare

I have very soft water and my vals grow like crazy.

Dunk2

I have very soft water and my vals grow like crazy.
So now what’s my excuse? :p

MacZ

I have nothing growing below 10cm depth. Got tannins? :D

BlackOsprey

Mine have always grown when I've used aquasoil or gravel-capped potting mix instead of ferts. Maybe yours weren't fed enough nutrients?

lojack

Mine have always grown when I've used aquasoil or gravel-capped potting mix instead of ferts. Maybe yours weren't fed enough nutrients?
That’s what I assumed for the two previous times. So this last time around I kept shoving a bunch of root tabs under them hoping they wouldn’t get starved. Maybe they needed more than the “extra” I was feeding them?

TClare

In my biggest tank I have a bit of aquasoil mixed with river sand, and I do fertilise this tank some of the time (liquid fertilisers and not all of the time as the bottles run out too quickly and are expensive). In two other tanks I just have river sand, lower light and no fertilisers and it still grows fine, though not quite as big as in the big tank where the leaves of some reach nearly all the way across the top of the tank. It is 160cm long and 60 cm high.

lojack

In my biggest tank I have a bit of aquasoil mixed with river sand, and I do fertilise this tank some of the time. In two other tanks I just have river sand, lower light and no fertilisers and it still grows fine, though not quite as big as in the big tank where the leaves of some reach nearly all the way across the top of the tank. It is 160cm long and 60 cm high.
I wonder if it’s my hard city water?

Dunk2

StarGirl can probably answer this. Her water is just shy of being a rock.

StarGirl

I have had them in regular aquarium sand and gravel, no root tabs and just liquid Thrive C once a week. They grow like weeds literally. At the end of the week on water change day they can be 3 ft long or more. EVERY week. I have to trim them.
My water
Tap 0/0/0 pH 7.6
Tank 0/0/10-20
GH 15-16
KH 8-9
pH 8.0-8.2

Any of you science guys have a clue? lol

GlennO

I’ve grown Val for decades in both high and low light tanks. Inert gravel or sand substrates. Moderate GH (about 120ppm/6-7dGH) and pH about 7.5. It doesn’t seem to require much fertiliser. I only grow the thin Australian variety and it grows easily and fast and I have to cut the tops off regularly if I don’t want it trailing all over the surface. I tried corkscrew Val once but it didn’t grow as well.

StarGirl

I have only had Italian Vals also. Kinda curious on the others now.

lojack

The part that stumps me is that the plants will initially take off for a few months but by around 6 months they’re all gone. Sucks to see 2 foot plants floating around the tank without roots lol.

StarGirl

The part that stumps me is that the plants will initially take off for a few months but by around 6 months they’re all gone. Sucks to see 2 foot plants floating around the tank without roots lol.
I had them in large gravel and now black sand. I move them around where ever I want and I have never had a issue like that. That is so strange.

GlennO

Perhaps they were planted too deep?

This site is fairly informative:

Vallisneria Care Guide – Planting, Growing, and Propagation - Shrimp and Snail Breeder

I have only had Italian Vals also. Kinda curious on the others now.

I think Italian Val is Vallisneria spiralis.

Cinabar

I have very hard tap water. 18-20 dGH and 8-9 dKH. Jungle Val has thrived after a small adjustment period, I’m pulling runners every week. I also had corkscrew Val, but those slowly melted away and any runners they put out stayed small and stunted.

StarGirl

I wonder if it is anything to do with water softeners? I dont have one.

lojack

Perhaps they were planted too deep?

This site is fairly informative:

Vallisneria Care Guide – Planting, Growing, and Propagation - Shrimp and Snail Breeder

I think Italian Val is Vallisneria spiralis.
I updated the first post.

I’ve tried deeper, more shallow, doesn’t make a difference. I’ll even let runners grow wherever/however deep they want and they all eventually rot away at the roots.

For what it’s worth, the first attempt a decade ago was in pool filter sand. 5 years ago eco complete and most recently a mix of eco complete and blasting sand.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nianichole
  • Question
Replies
Views
Deku-Cory