I'm Terrified

Neverstop1111

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just did a gravel clean and I moved some structures around and I completely forgot i put voltarin muscle cream on my arms and hands about 3 to 4 hours ago. Will it kill my beautiful fish !!!

I'm freaking out!

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so the good news is that it isnt water soluble so it wont wash off due to immersion. Maintain your filter running since it has carbon in it and this is one of the only things carbon is actually useful for. Do a healthy water change and test the water both before and after the change and post results. Is there any residue on the surface of the water?

Neverstop1111

Valued Member
Reaction score
RYRYTHEGUY said:
Read what the contents are on the cream then look up on google if the contents are fish safe
Il post them here. All it says is diclofenac gel

IceFyre1414 said:
Probably not, but it might a be a good idea to do a 75% water change if you're really worried.
I just did a water change and I have to let the new water sit for 24hrs dont i

So
IceFyre1414 said:
Probably not, but it might a be a good idea to do a 75% water change if you're really worried.
My water is out so I'd have to wait another 24 if that's so

NavyChief20 said:
so the good news is that it isnt water soluble so it wont wash off due to immersion. Maintain your filter running since it has carbon in it and this is one of the only things carbon is actually useful for. Do a healthy water change and test the water both before and after the change and post results. Is there any residue on the surface of the water?
No no residue on top

What do I do with the fresh tap water.
I always wait 24 hrs

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok step one....relax dude.
No film or residue on the surface means that you have a very low probability of transfer of the cream to your water. That cream is oil based so you would have a film if it came off. If some trace amount did then your carbon will neutralize the trace amount as it is an organic compound and thats what carbon actually is made for (very little else btw)

Just test your water and relax a bit

Neverstop1111 said:
What do I do with the fresh tap water.
I always wait 24 hrs
you have any Prime or water conditioner?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that will do for now. Do a water change and dose the water you are adding per the specified amount you are adding. Then wait say 30 min and do a check chem

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cured water? You can put the amount you are gonna add in a bucket and dose it or add it to the tank and dose the tank. Dealers choice.

Neverstop1111

Valued Member
Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
cured water? You can put the amount you are gonna add in a bucket and dose it or add it to the tank and dose the tank. Dealers choice.
So it doesnt have to sit for 24 hrs. Why do people tell me that

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
that is an option. a 24 hour wait will allow for off gassing of most entrained gasses in solution. Another trick is to heat the water and increase the rate that gas comes out of solution but then you need to cool it off again. Water conditioner does a similar thing only on a chemical level rather than and temperature density effect.

Neverstop1111

Valued Member
Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
that is an option. a 24 hour wait will allow for off gassing of most entrained gasses in solution. Another trick is to heat the water and increase the rate that gas comes out of solution but then you need to cool it off again. Water conditioner does a similar thing only on a chemical level rather than and temperature density effect.
So take the heater out of my tank and put it in bucket with conditioner to heat it to tank heat and put in. Or just leave tank as is and there's barely a chance it will do anything?

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Leave the tank as is. Do a water change and add the conditioner per the instructions. Dont do the heat trick.

Neverstop1111

Valued Member
Reaction score
The water for chance is extremely cold
NavyChief20 said:
Leave the tank as is. Do a water change and add the conditioner per the instructions. Dont do the heat trick.
NavyChief20 said:
Sorry your being a great help. And I appreciate this very much

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i usually try and use warm water less chance of shock. My filtration is diffrent though. No need to apologize. We have all had that oh no moment.

Neverstop1111

Valued Member
Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
i usually try and use warm water less chance of shock. My filtration is diffrent though. No need to apologize. We have all had that oh no moment.
Yea I live in an apartment and the only water I can use is hose water

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
do you have a thermometer? you can heat it on the stove aslong as it stays low enough. be very careful doing that. dont boil it just raise the temp a few degrees. You can actually just heat some of it and then add that to the bucket and the bucket of water will reach a new isothermal temp that is higher. how cold is the water?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom