I'm Taking In Ten Betta Fish.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Lucky Marie, Aug 3, 2017.

1. L

Lucky Marie New Member Member

I haven't owned bettas in quite a number of years, although I used to be very active in the fish keeping hobby and was even a breeder for an extended period of time. I quit about ten years ago because the job I had at the time afforded me the chance to travel and that wasn't something I wanted to pass on.

Fast forward to today, a close friend of mine who works at the local animal shelter called me and asked if I would be willing to take in some fish that were taken from a hoarding situation. I agreed to take in ten of the twenty offered.

According to her four of them are in proper sized aquariums (5 gallons), but the other six are kept in gallon and a half tank and/or bowls. None of these have filters and since I got rid of all of my old fish keeping equipment, I'm going to have to order sponge filters for all of them. They also don't have heaters, but I cleaned out my old fish room which will be kept heated to 83 degrees year round which will bypass the need to get them right away since their tanks will constantly stay right around 80. Slowly but surely, I'll upgrade everyone to at least 3 gallon aquariums for the long finned ones and 5 gallons for any females or short finned males.

I don't know if any of them have any health issues because I'm not picking them up until tomorrow and I also haven't seen any pictures of them, but I'm sure they'll at least have some fin rot issues because that is pretty common due to water quality issues as I'm sure you all already know.

Before I pick them up, I'm going to go by the pet store to get the API freshwater master kit, Prime water conditioner, some quality food, and also I'll need to get something to jumpstart their cycles for when their filters get here. Is there any products that you'd recommend over others?

By the way, it's so nice to see a forum where people truly care about giving their fish the proper care. I've been reading through the forum for around two hours and the advice given is always spot on with what I'd say. I will admit, I'll definitely need some advice when it comes to planting their tanks, I've never had much of a green thumb, in or out of the water! Haha.

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm happy to hear you are willing to give a number of bettas good homes. The only advice I can give is to perhaps try keeping all the females (if there are more than 2) in a sorority tank. This should help in terms of # of tanks and filters needed. Of course I wouldn't throw them all together right away but perhaps when they are all healthy and on the right track.

I would say divide a couple 20gal longs for the males, but then you run the risk of one jumping into the other's section, constant flaring, and stress. You can combat that though with good DIY dividers that are not transparent.

Looking forward to hearing more about your situation, please give updates when you get them along with pictures. Gotta love rescue stories ;)

3. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I'd recommend divided 20 longs, like demeter said for the bettas. To cycle the tanks quickly, you could do a fish-in cycle with the bettas using tetra safestart plus. That should cycle each tank in about 2 weeks if you use it properly.

4. OP
    OP
    L

Lucky Marie New Member Member

A divided tank sounds great, why didn't I think of that? The pet store near me doesn't carry 20 longs, only 20 highs. Is there a good place online from which I can order a couple? Also, if I divided them I'd be able to put one of the tanks in the living room to be a focal point. Maybe another in the kitchen. What watt heater would you suggest for an aquarium of that size?

@Demeter I'll definitely post some pictures of them when I get them and will update regularly as well. It's kind of funny in a way, I was just looking at the bettas at my LPS last week and thought to myself one day I'd like to keep them again. Who knew 8 days later I'd become the owner of ten?

5. DylanM

DylanM Well Known Member Member

I'd recommend a 100 watt heater if water from every divided section can reach it, or 4 25 watt micro heaters in each section.

6. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

If there are a mix of genders, try to keep the divided tanks single sex. Mixing males and females can cause stress for everyone, and potential health issues for the females since it can cause them to become egg-bound.

If you're in the US and near any cities with a Petco, they're having a dollar per gallon sale on 10 and 20 gallon tanks if you want to pick some up big enough to divide. What kind/how many heaters depends on the water flow that you get with your filtration. I'd start with one large enough for the whole tank and then put a cheap little thermometer in each section to keep an eye on it.

Funny how the universe can answer you sometimes, isn't it? Good luck with them!

7. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

I have heard that in a divided tank, those with large fins need less room. Those with short fins need more room. But given you are using sponge filters then this may not be an issue

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice