I'm stuck?? Tank feels empty. Aquascaping tips?

Galactica555

Reaction score
I have a 20gallon long tank(cycled) I have anubias,lucky bamboo,java fern,amazon sword and a few other small plants.
I also have some rocks about. I have it currently stocked with 4 nerites,2 a manos(plan on getting about a dozen in near future),and 4 khulis(2 more are the plan). I also would like to add a centerpiece fish(betta probably) but the issue is my tank looks sad in my mind. I wanna add wood but I feel it would stick out too much. I might remove the red rock since it feels like a sore thumb to it all (color wise going for a natural look ?). This is my first tank and I don't want the betta to feel anxious nor the khulis scared(the shrimp so far have no care in the world and zoom all the time. Khulis do periodically so they seem fine as is.but subject to change when i introduce another fish probably?) Any tips on how I should go about making it feel fuller in there? Without never being able to see any or it feeling forced looking? Big thanks ❤
20200601_102436.jpg

Willj626

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A Betta and Kuhli Loaches will do fine together. The Kuhli Loaches will stay at the bottom and most likely be ignored by the Betta. The kuhlis are pretty fast and will avoid, any nips and are excellent hiders. Plus kuhil loaches are mostly nocturnal and will be active most when your Betta is sleeping or resting. Neither should cause stress for the other but some Bettas do just have a very aggressive temperament so just be mindful and watch the tank for the first few days. The Betta might hunt some shrimp though.

OP
Galactica555

Galactica555

Reaction score
Willj626 said:
A Betta and Kuhli Loaches will do fine together. The Kuhli Loaches will stay at the bottom and most likely be ignored by the Betta. The kuhlis are pretty fast and will avoid, any nips and are excellent hiders. Plus kuhil loaches are mostly nocturnal and will be active most when your Betta is sleeping or resting. Neither should cause stress for the other but some Bettas do just have a very aggressive temperament so just be mindful and watch the tank for the first few days. The Betta might hunt some shrimp though.
They are amano shrimps so hopefully less likely right?

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You tank looks great! If it feels empty, you could try arranging the plants, so that the taller ones are in the back, medium in the middle, and short ones in the front. Or you could try to make some kind of a center piece. If you don't want the driftwood to stick out, you could maybe try cholla wood. Also isn't sand substrate better for kuhli loaches? I've never had them before, but I heard gravel can hurt them.

OP
Galactica555

Galactica555

Reaction score
julifhy said:
You tank looks great! If it feels empty, you could try arranging the plants, so that the taller ones are in the back, medium in the middle, and short ones in the front. Or you could try to make some kind of a center piece. If you don't want the driftwood to stick out, you could maybe try cholla wood. Also isn't sand substrate better for kuhli loaches? I've never had them before, but I heard gravel can hurt them.
The mom and pips shop I got them from said it was fine? Its light and snallest gravel i could findall smoith no jagged edges. Theyve buried then selves and popped out a few times and seemed fine?ill look into it more though

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Galactica555 said:
The mom and pips shop I got them from said it was fine? Its light and snallest gravel i could findall smoith no jagged edges. Theyve buried then selves and popped out a few times and seemed fine?ill look into it more though
If it's smooth gravel, then I think they'll be fine

Broggy

Reaction score
wow, it looks beautiful. just remember to prune your plants, they with grow back thick, and a lot more growth than before. I just trimmed 2 leaves on my java fern all the way down to the rhizome, and out came 5 newborn leaves in 2 weeks. occasionally they will also sprout seeds from the leaves you cut off, so just let them float around the tank for a while:)

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A black back ground and a small piece of drift wood should help I think.
Maybe some temple plant for background in center and in the back right.

OP
Galactica555

Galactica555

Reaction score
Broggy said:
wow, it looks beautiful. just remember to prune your plants, they with grow back thick, and a lot more growth than before. I just trimmed 2 leaves on my java fern all the way down to the rhizome, and out came 5 newborn leaves in 2 weeks. occasionally they will also sprout seeds from the leaves you cut off, so just let them float around the tank for a while:)
I'm not fully sure how to do that so I'll look into it more how first. My java fern seems to have a little baby one growing off a leaf haha. How long should i keep the leaves in there? And which plants would it be done on? Can i also later feed the leaves to my bladder snail tank?

Broggy

Reaction score
Galactica555 said:
I'm not fully sure how to do that so I'll look into it more how first. My java fern seems to have a little baby one growing off a leaf haha. How long should i keep the leaves in there? And which plants would it be done on? Can i also later feed the leaves to my bladder snail tank?
I have left the leaves in there for like a month, and I was getting sick of them and almost threw them away. but a few days after that, the leaves EXPLODED with little roots. I believe you can prune any aquarium plant, just look up specifically how to do it. No idea about the snails

New Threads