I’m Stubborn. Will this stocking work?

peachsonas

I may or may not be receiving a 15 gallon tank for Christmas and I plan on having a single black moor in there. I know there’s a lot of places saying a 20 gallon minimum is preferred, but if I grow a strong bacteria colony, over filter it could it work theoretically? I know black moors are on the smaller side of fancy goldfish and can get to 5-6 inches. I know they’re also pretty slow moving. I’m also willing to put in the work for extra water changes since I know they can be messy, but would it work if that was my ONLY stocking and stayed on top of it?

sincerely, a stubborn fish keeper who wants to make this work

Dunk2

Are you looking at a specific 15 gallon? If not, use your stubbornness to convince the giver to get you a 20. :)

peachsonas

Are you looking at a specific 15 gallon? If not, use your stubbornness to convince the giver to get you a 20. :)
I’ll push, but she’s really not budging. I’ve already got two other tanks and she’s not exactly pleased about me wanting another one!

Azedenkae

I may or may not be receiving a 15 gallon tank for Christmas and I plan on having a single black moor in there. I know there’s a lot of places saying a 20 gallon minimum is preferred, but if I grow a strong bacteria colony, over filter it could it work theoretically? I know black moors are on the smaller side of fancy goldfish and can get to 5-6 inches. I know they’re also pretty slow moving. I’m also willing to put in the work for extra water changes since I know they can be messy, but would it work if that was my ONLY stocking and stayed on top of it?

sincerely, a stubborn fish keeper who wants to make this work
It's not so much about the filtration (which is a relatively easy thing to solve), but the size of the fish.

With that said, you can probs keep it for a while imo. 15 and 20 gallon tanks ain't all that different.

Dunk2

I’ll push, but she’s really not budging. I’ve already got two other tanks and she’s not exactly pleased about me wanting another one!
Sounds like a good test of your stubborn ability. ;)

JuDom

I’d say push for the 20 also. That way next time you can upgrade to a 30+ :)

Ooouu how about ask for a 29, settle for a 20? Isn’t that how bartering works? :hilarious:

peachsonas

I’d say push for the 20 also. That way next time you can upgrade to a 30+ :)

Ooouu how about ask for a 29, settle for a 20? Isn’t that how bartering works? :hilarious:
True, but my mom is onto my schemes so I’m not sure she’d buy it :hilarious:

BigManAquatics

15 gal kind of an oddball size. But it really is just a 20 tall with a couple inches cut off the top. Unless it is a column tank. Then i wouldn't attempt any kind of fish more than about an inch long!

peachsonas

15 gal kind of an oddball size. But it really is just a 20 tall with a couple inches cut off the top. Unless it is a column tank. Then i wouldn't attempt any kind of fish more than about an inch long!
Nope, it’s the fluval cube one. I think the flex 15. Y’all are starting to wear me down though, so I’m gonna push for the 20, but if not, I might just do another fish if I can’t get a young moor

kansas

You lose some space to the built in filter with that tank.

Dunk2

Nope, it’s the fluval cube one. I think the flex 15. Y’all are starting to wear me down though, so I’m gonna push for the 20, but if not, I might just do another fish if I can’t get a young moor
Seriously (I am capable of that), I wouldn’t recommend the Flex 15 for a Black Moor. I have one, like it a lot, but you lose at least a couple gallons given the built-in filtration.

Share this post with your mom. . . Tell her I said you must have at least a 20 or preferably a Flex 32.5.

StarGirl

Got ninja'd by Dunk and Kansas.....lol

peachsonas

Thanks everyone! I’ll just stick to something else then :)

BVUBeavers

Surely she will get you a 55G with a Petco sale.

peachsonas

Surely she will get you a 55G with a Petco sale.
In a perfect world! (Meaning if I also had enough room in my college apartment and if there was no possibility of getting kicked out lol)

Evergreen2

Completely possible, just depends on how much it grows if it doesn't grow at all, that would be its permeant tank. And since you are willing to put the work in, you could technical add a small buddy.

peachsonas

Completely possible, just depends on how much it grows if it doesn't grow at all, that would be its permeant tank. And since you are willing to put the work in, you could technical add a small buddy.
That’s probably true, but I just want to make sure I’m giving the moor the comfiest lifestyle I can give to him, so I’ll probably wait until I have the space for a 20 gallon :D thank you though!

Evergreen2

That’s probably true, but I just want to make sure I’m giving the moor the comfiest lifestyle I can give to him, so I’ll probably wait until I have the space for a 20 gallon :D thank you though!
No problem. I'm also more of the boat that 20g is good for 2 fancies. I had two, but unfortunately died. He was always smaller and had some genetic issues I think.

jpm995

Like someone said a 15 is an odd size. Tell mom a 20 gal will be cheaper and hood and lights will be cheaper also. When thinking minimum size length and with is more important than height. A 20 long is better for fish than a 20 standard. I think the premise is fish swim more side to side than up and down.

Similar Aquarium Threads

15 Gallon Tank Beginner stocking help?
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
Replies
Views
crumpus
Replies
Views
Rxo_c
Replies