I'm Starting to Question My Sanity

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I'm allergic to guinea pigs. I didn't know this when we brought our guinea pig Ariel home 3 years ago. Not only is she still here since I've chosen to suffer as opposed to re-homing her, but her cage is in my bedroom. It's 48 x 24" and it won't fit in any other room in the house.

This is the only animal cage in the house that I really shouldn't be in charge of cleaning, but since it's such a large cage, I do it so Shelby doesn't have to. It's a big job and I replace all bedding weekly so he has a nice clean home in addition to the daily pick-ups, feedings, etc. Shelby does the daily feedings and fresh water.

But wait there's more. I can't resist his chubby cuteness, so anytime he's out, I have to pick him up for some snuggles. It takes less than a minute for my face to start itching, my eyes to start itching, and the sneezing to ensue. If it was my daughter that had the allergies, I would've re-homed him, but since I'm the adult and head of household, I've made the decision to keep him and use OTC medicines to keep the allergic reactions to a minimum.

We should own stock in allergy medicines and nasal sprays around here.

There are a LARGE NUMBER of guinea pigs being re-homed in the area on Craigslist and so far, I've resisted the temptation to increase the number of guinea pigs in our home. Everyone please cross your fins I'll continue to resist.

EDIT: Shelby saw me suffering after cleaning his cage and we're going to try to find a place in her room for his cage the week before Christmas when we're both off from work and school. She wants to take over his cleaning and care so I don't have to deal with these allergic reactions so often. This will involve her fish tank being in the 3rd bedroom instead of her room. She's wanted this tank in her room for a long time.

Santa's going to have to get her something special this year. She's a good kid.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I love guinea pigs, they're so adorable.
    It's all I can do not to bring one home but you know my cat...yeah..... nope, a guinea pig is NOT a good idea. lol

3. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Guinea Pigs are awesome. But have you ever had one escape from it's cage? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

helllllllo lady!! I think we all question your sanity!!!!!! or at least I do..:;dk:gathering:

single mom who rocks with her princess
    how many tanks in the last year?
    how many other great homes for birds, dogs, etc?
    not to mention all you have done for my addictions!!!!!

question it? heck no..but respect it and adore you for all you do for the forum and the pets of the world that need more people like you!!!!!:;nw:;hug2

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I hear ya! That's a pretty expensive cat snack;)

No, never had an escape, but our guinea pig cage opens at the top, so Ariel can't get his "two chins" up that high.

Wow, Shawnie, I don't know quite how to respond to those HUGE compliments, except to say "Thank You" and try to let you know how much they mean to me, especially coming from you:;hug2

I respect your thoughts and opinions and cherish your friendship. You're a HUGE part of my success in fishkeeping and your friendship has helped keep me "together" during some very tough times.:;hug2:-*

6. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

<HUGS>
    That's one lucky little guy.
    And you're one amazing gal :)

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, Red:;hug2 I just saw your thread regarding the two female guinea pigs.

Those two girls would love to have a home with you. I really think you'd enjoy them.

8. Dolphini Member Member

lol! Sorry about your allergy! I'm in the same boat. I found out I have mild allergies to cats, dogs, and rats, all of which I own!! lol Thank goodness for allergy medications. I couldn't live without my fuzzies. Or scalies...

9. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Question your sanity? Nahhh
    You truly do inspire me when I see the amount of animals you have rescued, being a single mom with a young daughter.
    I wish there were more people like you out in the world, a lot of the unwanted animals would have a better chance.

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I understand. Allergy medications have staved off some SERIOUS sinus infections.

Wow, Amanda, THANK YOU SO MUCH!:;hug2 You've done an incredible job rescuing yourself, cat lady;) Between the cats and the oscars, there are some very lucky animals in your home.