im soooo stumped :S Help 

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok heres the deal ive had 4 guppys die on me i dont know whats happening i have 0 nitrite 0 ammonia i did go through a mini cycle but did frequient water changes and they all did ok. its all good now the water is great now and at 76F. i have aquiriem salt in the tank they love that but they seem to just randomly die all of a sudden! i cant figure its out i know there was some slight aggression with two males but nothing major they where all properly acclimated there peaceful with all of there tank mate (baby pearl and school of neons) but they just seem to randomly die without warning! im really worried and i dont know whats happening! please help!

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so just the guppies died... hmm. What was the time period that they died in and how much aquiriem salt do you use. What did the guppies look like before they died/or after?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What are your NitrAte readings? Did you get all 4 guppies at the same place at the same time? Sometimes if there aren't enough females the males will fight but I don't think that it is the problem here. Could one of the other fish been picking on them? How long were they in the tank before they died?

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i use half a tablespoon of salt per 5gal (its recommended a full but tetras dont like to much salt) they looked almost perfect a little less active but nothing that would cause an alarm then bam! they died. i would find them the next morning dead. do you think it could have been a bad batch from my LPS? the 4 have all died in 1-2 weeks

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Odd. Really odd. If it was the tetras dying, I'd blame the salt. I'd still suggest stopping using it. It's unnecessary, and the neons and gourami will do much better without.
However, I doubt that's the issue with the guppies. So let's dig a little deeper.
What do you feed them? When you do water changes (or any time your hands are in the tank), are you careful to make sure your hands are fully rinsed and free of soap residue. When you do water changes, do you pre-mix the salt in a bucket of water, or do you add it directly to the aquarium?

ayelie said:
Sometimes if there aren't enough females the males will fight but I don't think that it is the problem here.
This is sometimes a problem, but it would be extremely odd in a 30 gallon+ planted tank. It's usually in smaller tanks, where the weaker ones can't escape the stronger, that it's a problem.

However, there's an easy way to tell this: What condition were their tails in when they died? If they were whole, it likely wasn't violence. If they were shredded, you may have had a sudden outburst of violence

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i feed then tropical fish flakes i do water changes 1 once a week and yes before every water change or if i put my hand in the tank there fully rinsed. i directly add the slat into the aquarium (i usaly just go under a half a tablespoon) all the guppies died with full intact tails except for the last one. i think this may be because the 3 previous deaths were female so maybe the aggression was raised do to lack of females?(NOTE: one of my other male guppies now has a small fin rip) i got 3 of 4 guppies at one of my LPS and the 4th a wile later from the same store. i got them about 2 weeks ago and now they all died in about a week and a half.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i have a 15 gal tank im currently cycling should i put the remaining 3 in there once its cycled and ready for fish?

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of salt are you using?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the only thing I can narrow it down to is weak stock or possibly a result from exposure to toxins. I have had some fish that I know were exposed to ammonia or nitrite in high levels from a spike that would just up and die one day, so I don't think that's out of the question.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
oh ok some people use table salt, I was just making sure

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds odd that the guppies would take a dive before the neons, usually the guppies are much hardier. I would have to question the difference in parameters/temps from the LFS you purchased the guppies vs. your own. Did you buy the neons in the same shop? I would hate to blame bad stock without all the bases covered. Also, have you tested your tap water(assuming you use regular tap for changes)? And are you using a dechlorinator prior to adding(even if you weren't, I can't see the neons surviving and the guppies not).

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
blkdeath75 said:
Sounds odd that the guppies would take a dive before the neons, usually the guppies are much hardier.
No kidding.. this one throwing me for a loop. Starting to think BLKdeath is right on with the bad stock. But I would still think you would see some signs before they died. Do you have high ammonia in your tap water? How long ago did you buy the guppies?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The direct addition of salt may be doing it. Guppies are known to swallow anything that appears to be the same size as what they consider to be food. They may be getting their mouths on the salt. This is only a huge guess, though, as neons will often do the same.

Going to go out on a limb and guess that the flakes you're feeding are Wardley or Tetra or one of the other common brands. I would suggest switching to a high-quality flake if this is the case. OmegaOne is a good one, as is Hikari. There's another excellent one out there that I can't remember what it's called. Most flakes serve the parts of fish that can't be used for real food. Omega One, Hikari, and this other brand all use whole ingredients to make their foods.

Bad stock is also a possibility.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i use omega one flakes. and yes i use declarator and no i dont have high ammonia in the tap water :S

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright. Good on the flakes.
My only remaining suggestions are that, if you're going to continue using salt, premix it rather than adding directly to the tank, and get your guppies from a different source if you can. If you can find an aquarium society near you, you could see if there are any guppy breeders. You can usually get really neat color strains for pretty cheap, or you can get their unwanted ones (wrong color or fin shape) for ridiculously cheap.

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok thanks! i will definitely be getting guppies somewhere else! and make sure i premix the salt!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

Please remember that salt does not dissipate. The only way salt is removed from the tank is via water changes. If you remove 1 gallon then only add salt for 1 gallon and not the entire tank. If you dose for the full tank without a full tank water change then salt may very well be the issue. Too much salt.

I agree that I would stop with the salt.

So sorry to hear about your fish loss.

Ken

BubbaGump_59

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes i only add the amount of salt i take out in water and ok no more salt

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stresscoat is a great alternative to salt with a similar basic effect and less side effects. Take care!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads