I'm so happy to be back here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Meenu, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;hi2 I feel like I haven't been here in ages, and it has only been three weeks!
    I had back surgery on Feb 25. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 2 days, but ended up there for 5, and then in an inpatient rehabilitation hospital for another 1 1/2 weeks. I hadn't realized how badly I had messed myself up. I've had a lot of physical and occupational therapy, and am doing better now, although I am still not fully recovered.

My husband has been doing the best he can with the fish tank. It seems as if the losses have stopped, and the survivers seem to be doing well. Eventually I will need to fill out the schools again. Unfortunately, the entire aquarium has been taken over by brown algae... diatoms? Will otos eat that?

Anyway, it feels so great to be home, and back on FL! Yay!

2. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, welcome back! I was wondering what happened to you. ;)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back Meenu! So glad to hear you're feeling better!
    Ken

4. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome Back :)
    Glad that things are looking better now <hugs>

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hey Meenu, glad you are back!

I think Otos do eat diatoms.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. Chris123

Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Welcome Back!

Glad to here your doing better

CB

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back!

We missed you:)

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It's good to see you back. :;balloons

I was starting to worry about you because you had been away for so long.

Here's to a fast, full recovery!:;toast

9. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

I noticed you weren't around. Glad to hear you're on the mend and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Otos do a great job cleaning up diatoms. At least mine did.

10. OP
    OP
    Meenu

Thanks guys. My left leg is mostly numb. They don't know yet if it is permanent. My sciatic nerve probably has damage because it was distressed for so long. Apparently, nerves regenerate, so it may get better in a few months. But even with the numbness, I am able to walk. Right now I am using a cane, but every day I am trying to take a few steps without it so I can get back to normal faster.

After things are better with me, I will have to get some otos. The diatom situation is horrible!

Oh, here's something weird I saw both times I looked at the tank today: Only 2 of the hatchetfish made it. Instead of hanging out at the top skimming the surface like they are known to do, they are in the middle of the tank "schooling" with a guppy.

11. MissMTS

MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Glad to hear you are doing better Meenu :) You seemed so miserable before, so I'm glad things are improving for you. As far as your diatoms BN plecos have always done a great job on them in my tanks.

12. OP
    OP
    Meenu

Thanks, Kate. I was really miserable before. I met the surgeon and he rearranged his schedule to do the surgery 2 days later - it was apparently an emergency situation. My sciatic nerve was being pressed on so much that it was being damaged pretty severely. It's good to have that pain gone. At least the pain I have now is temporary.

So either otos or a BN should do the job? Any tips on deciding which way to go?

13. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The BN is easier to keep IMO, and easier to keep fed. A group of otos, however, would have a smaller bioload.

14. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back Meenu! I've missed agreeing with you :)

15. OP
    OP
    Meenu

Thanks! I missed seeing my brilliance reflected in your posts, too. :;laughing

16. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Welcome back !!!! what part of Tejas are you at?

17. OP
    OP
    Meenu

san antonio :) where is cedar creek?

18. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

I have family in SA Cedar Creek is between Austin and Bastrop Down good ole 71 east from Austin about 20 miles. What part SA are you?

19. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Glad you're back! I hope your recovery is swift and uneventful.

20. Omgami

Omgami Valued Member Member

Good to see you back. At least you have your fish to watch while you recover. Try to ignore the diatoms and focus on the fish for now. I hope you are doing well and that your recovery is better then you can hope for. Pain is ...well painful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice