I'm so confused?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by FishTankPerson, Jul 2, 2016.

1. FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

I just did a 40% water change yesterday, and this morning I tested the water.
    Ammonia = .25 ppm
    Nitrite = 1 - 5 ppm can't really tell
    Nitrate = 10 ppm.
    pH = 7.9 ppm

Yesterday the tests where
    Ammonia = 1 ppm
    Nitrite = 1 ppm
    Nitrate = 5 ppm
    pH = 7.4 ppm

I tested my tap water, and everything is 0, pH = 7.9. I have been doing a fish in cycle for more than a month now, and nitrite and ammonia are high. Where did he sudden nitrite come from, and if it isn't cycled how am I getting nitrate. This is confusing.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

This is your 30g, right? What kind of fish are you cycling with? Your cycle is progressing as the bacteria that's colonized for processing the ammonia is now converting it to nitrite, then nitrates. Are you using a bacteria supplement?

I'd do at least a 50% right now to bring that nitrite down as it's too high. Test again and if it's still at 1ppm or higher, do another 50%. Do you use Seachem Prime or Amquel Plus as a water conditioner? Either of those will detoxify the ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm for 24 hrs.

3. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I am getting tetra safe start plus today. I thought the fish would be doing fine by now, so I got an angelfish, a beta, and some tetras. They have been doing fine for a couple weeks, and they are feeding just fine. I can't use prime, because the instructions, say I can't put it in if I have prime. I guess I'll do some more water changes. I also have plants that are healthy, and should be using the nitrates, and ammonia.

Isn't it cycling, if there's sine of nitrates?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. el337

It is cycling so you can just keep doing what you're doing and do daily water changes until you're cycled. However, with that stock I would get Seachem Stability instead as a bacteria supplement. Tetra recommends one small fish per 10g and you are above that.

I'd keep an eye out for your betta and have a backup tank ready if you see any aggression.

5. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Actually, you can put it in if you're using Prime, just not within 24 hours of adding it.

I'd also keep an eye on the Angel. It's probably young but as it matures it may get quite territorial and both Angels and Bettas can be aggressive.

6. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

The Betta was aggressive, on the first day. He hid under a driftwood log, he comes out now, and loves to play in the current. I've been watching him, and making sure he doesn't chew his fins off. The angelfish, and the Betta stay on separate sides of the tank. I'll go, and see if my local pet store has  . Thanks for the Info!

The Tetras have red gills, is this a sign of nitrite poisoning?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  7. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

After water change, Nitrite at 1 ppm.

8. el337

I'd do another 50% to get it below 1ppm.

9. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

10. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

The red gills could be a sign of an irritant in the water. Usually ammonia but nitrite probably would, too. Water changes are your friend!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice