I'm so confused. D: Important

1. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

Both my dad and my sister used to have a aquarium. My sister just had a betta, and my dad had some mollies and maybe some platies or something. Both just put their fish in and they lived to a ripe old age.

I want to get the API Master Test Kit, but everyone thinks I'm wasting $22.
    They say the fish will be fine if I put them in now, and I should just order the kit if something goes wrong.

Wal-mart has a 90 day policy for fish. They also have several tanks they marked with a giant "ICH" sticker. In fact, I watched a pile of Oscar die the other day there. I reaaally don't want to introduce that to a new aquarium. But if I order from my LFS, and just put them in there now, and they die, they're dead. I don't think theres a policy there. The bad part is, if I buy this kit, I'm out of cash for a quite a while.

I guess what I'm asking here is what would you do? Do you have the API Master Test Kit? How often do you use it? Is it a waste of money?
    My tank has been up and running for a week. What do test results generally look like, now? I could ask the pet shop if they do water tests, but I don't think they will. How long does the kit last?

I need to know so I can order it now or someone will steal it off my porch if it comes while I'm at school. People stole our trash cans for crying out loud. TWICE, lol

Thanks!

2. Redvelvetsword

Redvelvetsword Valued Member Member

The only way to be certain that the fish won't die right away is to make sure that your water is safe for them. The only way to do that is to have it tested. I know that's not what you want to hear (read), but it's the only way I know to be sure. In my earlier years, I used to set up a tank one day, then put in a few zebra danios to "establish" the tank. I know better now and it sounds like you do too. Good for you!!! Just make sure you fully understand the Nitrogen cycle and you will have a happy tank!!! Good luck!!!!

3. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

it's definitely NOT a waste of money. knowing your water parameters is absolutely crucial. think about it like this, you control the ENTIRE ecosystem that your fish lives in in your tank, if you could test the air in your house to make sure it didn't have any toxins in it you probably would, right? ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are harmful to fish (although nitrAte is far less harmful than the other two)

it certainly couldn't hurt to ask the LFS if they'll check your water for you, but make sure that they use liquid tests and NOT the strips and get the exact readings from them, look at them yourself if you can :)

4. F

Fishnugget43 Valued Member Member

I have the API Liquid test kit. It really does come in handy. and by handy I mean necessary. I dont mean to be rude but its really the best thing for the fish. Your relatives sucess sounds to me like luck, Although IMO it would have been very stressful on the fish

Good luck

5. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Chances are in those day's they might have lost a few fish and don't remember it or chalked it up to something else. When i was younger i would set up a tank and a couple days later throw in some fish. Sometimes they would live sometimes not. Since i didn't know about the nitrogen cycle I didn't blame dead fish on this. In the long run you will save more money by having the test kit then what you would save by not buying it.

6. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I know you're all going to hate me (and I certainly don't feel good myself for it), but I got some cories. My dad told me to try it, so I am. I'm going to do a 50% WC a day, and add the liquid that makes ammonia neutral to fish. I'm going to ask my LFS if they do water tests; they must have been closed today because of New Year's.

I was going to get danios or tetras but felt they wouldn't survive and they would be unhappy with 6 in a cramped 10 gallon. Plus the filter would be like, "What, wait!"

If these ones die, I'm going to show them to my dad (I told you so! kind of thing), and maybe that will convince them that I should buy a kit. I hate to use them like that, and I'm really hoping they do survive. And if they do survive, I'm still going to buy a kit.

They're being acclimated right now.

Thanks for your responses. I really hope you don't look down on me for this. D:

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

API Master test kit should be mandatory stock for every aquarist. Parents don't always know best unfortunately. (Just don't tell them that:)) Seeing as you have bought some fish, do daily 25% water changes & if you have the money, get some Tetra Safe Start. If you get the TSS, follow the bottle directions to the letter.

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

everyone makes their own choices on advice and their own decisions....I hope they make it also..but cories are sensitive buggers...and a 10g tank wont hold many of them as they like to be in bigger schools....good luck!

9. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

@Nutter: I think it's just because both relatives have had success without it. I won't tell. xD
    I'll hunt that down. Thanks for the advice!

@Shawnie: There weren't any posts when I left the house, so I just went with it. I kept getting conflicting information on sensitivity, but I figure they'd be happier than a school of cramped danios. Thank you. <3

Have a great New Year, by the way. All of you! :D

10. Shawnie

what type of cories did you get?

11. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

They all seemed to be playing with one another, so I got an (reaaally little) albino male, a peppered male, and a bronze female.

I know they're the bigger ones, but my LFS was closed so I couldn't order anything. Wal-mart didn't have anything else really suitable. Unless I'm going to stuff a parrot cichlid in there. Dx

They're playing, except for the girl. She's just kind of in the corner, loafing around. They seem OK so far. I did a 50% water change and acclimated them for an hour before I put them in there.

Am I doing OK? D:

12. Shawnie

you are cycling with fish which is hard on them as you know..you should really pick up some prime conditioner so the ammonia/nitrite phase doesnt kill/stress them..your aqua safe wont help them during that even with water changes....the prime will detoxify the ammonia/nitrites but still keep it available to cycle the tank...thats most important at this point is keeping the fish the safest...

13. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

Will do! I think there's some out at Wal-mart; I'll run by there again in a few to see if they have it. I forgot to look when I got some food.

I'll pick it up, along with some plants. The girl looks like she trying to hide by sitting still.

14. agabr123

keep up daily 50% water changes with prime, that will provide the least stressful situation for the fish that you already have. if you can't find prime then i believe amquel+ and stress coat + will work just as well. i'd recommend holding off on getting any new fish for that tank until the water parameters are under control (consistent readings of 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrIte, 5-20ppm nitrAte) and then maybe consider adding fish after that time.

good luck!

15. Shawnie

16. agabr123

interesting, thanks for the link shawnie i'm glad i know that!!! :) i'll stick with my prime, lol!

17. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

goodluck, fish'd.

18. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

@agabr123: Working on some Prime. <3
    I know not to add more fish; I'm kind of iffy about the numbers in there already.
    Thanks!

@Shawnie: Thanks for the link~

@Meenu: Thank you!

Everyone is doing well. The lights are out, so they're more confident about coming out. I flicked the hood light on to check the filter, and they froze, lol.

I'll continue to monitor them closely.

19. agabr123

sounds like you're on the right track :)