I'm so close to getting a friend

OiFisho

I got this bird about a year ago because someone couldn't keep them. This bird is a parakeet probably 6 now and is finally starting to warm up to me. We had to move them a couple times because of rooms being built and stuff. I am just now being able to get him on my finger, however the bird won't come out of its cage. I've gotten as for as the door but as soon as it realizes where it is it flies off back to its perch. I don't know where to go from here to try and get it out and start teaching it actual tricks other than take food from my hand and get on my finger while you take food from my hand.

Some things worth noting is that this bird was extremely paranoid and shy when I first got it because of an obese parakeet with liver problems bullying it. Anything I put in the cage it wouldn't go near for days. Also, the bird like grunge and alternative rock if that can be used in anyway to help. The bird isn't very food driven and giving it food was more of a distraction while I pet it or move it around on my finger.

cdwag29

I’m no bird expert, but I did research a LOT for a while with the intent of getting one. Parakeets are social birds. They do better in either a pair or small group. If the size of your cage allows it, I would consider getting another bird. This can boost the confidence of the solo Parakeet, and allow it to relax a little more, especially if the other bird is used as a dither bird.

There is always the chance they wont get along if your bird is already traumatized from another, so prepare to have a backup if needed. Anyone feel free to correct me as i have no personal experience with keeping birds.

PlantedCommunityTank132

Is he able to fly? Cuz if he wouldn't be able to fly, you could maybe build a platform going out of his cage. Maybe he'd try it out after a few days

OiFisho

Is he able to fly? Cuz if he wouldn't be able to fly, you could maybe build a platform going out of his cage. Maybe he'd try it out after a few days
Yeah he can fly. I don't plan on taking that away from him because he might be stressed out and it would just generally suck if you were a bird and couldn't fly. Flying is pretty much the only thing birds got going for them.
I also have two dogs which I forgot to mention but I always kick them out when I mess with my bird.

PlantedCommunityTank132

I guess you just need to build his trust a bit more. I have no idea what would help as I've never kept birds before. Sorry

cdwag29

Building a bond with your bird will help. Keep the room he’s in as stress free and quiet as you can. Sit by his cage everyday and talk to him in a low, soft voice. Feed him treats to get him to trust you as well. My neighbors bird loves apple slices and baby carrots. Add more toys to his enclosure. If you would like, you could also keep the cage unlocked while you’re in the room with him so he will feel free to move in and out at will. Interacting with your bird outside of his enclosure is an important step in getting a bird to trust you. Make sure you only move slowly near him, fast movements can easily startle a bird.

I know they’re very different, but I also have a very skitish gecko that would bite if handeled. It took time and paticence, but I was able to get him to trust me by feeding by hand and interaction daily. Now he’s as docile as can be.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • LHAquatics
  • Bird
Replies
Views
AquaDaBetta
  • Question
  • mimo91088
  • Bird
Replies
Views