Help I'm Pretty Sure My Fish Have Ich!

Hugooo

Reaction score
Help! I'm pretty sure my fish have ich. What do I do?

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons?
How long has the tank been running? Almost 2 weeks
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? Around 74-76 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) There are 2 tiger barb, 2 neon tuxedo guppy, 3 ghost shrimp, 1 red wag platy, and 1 black molly.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? I haven't changed it at all yet
How much of the water do you change? N/A
What do you use to treat your water? Aqueon Condition, Aqueon Stress Reliever
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? N/A

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No, this is probably why they have ich
What do you use to test the water? Nothing
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: I don't know
Nitrite: I don't know
Nitrate: I don't know
pH: I don't know

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Approx. 2 times a day
How much do you feed your fish? Around 10 grains of sinking fish food
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqueon
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Approx. 3 days after I got the fish
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Around 3 out of 9 fish have white spots, some just on their tail, some all over their body, even their eyes
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I don't believe so...
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The black molly had 1 (I think) baby and I transferred it into another aquarium. I believe 1 ghost shrimp died, and they are always hiding and I can never seem to find them, but they always turn up.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, ANYTHING IS HELPFUL! IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER PROBLEMS YOU FOUND IN THE ANSWERS I WROTE PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Ksway

Reaction score
Hi! Yes it definitely sounds like ich without seeing any pictures. Your fish are stressed out due to the tank being new and not cycled yet. You will have ammonia nitrite in the tank, which the fish don’t like. Get you water tested at a local shop or buy a test kit. You best option would be do a water change and add benificial bacteria into the tank to speed up the process. I would also add in some seachem prime and hopefull this will detoxify some of the bad ammonia and nitrite. You will probably have to treat with ich medicine to full remove it. Hope this helps !

Masoud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
other than using the medications above,you should consider returning the tiger barbs,tiger barbs should be kept in schools of 6 or more to reduce their aggression,they gonna bully your other fish if u keep them as two,which will cause stress and stress leads to illness

Hugooo

Reaction score
other than using the medications above,you should consider returning the tiger barbs,tiger barbs should be kept in schools of 6 or more to reduce their aggression,they gonna bully your other fish if u keep them as two,which will cause stress and stress leads to illness
Thank you so much for replying, what would happen if I were to keep the tiger barbs together with the rest of the fish?

Hi! Yes it definitely sounds like ich without seeing any pictures. Your fish are stressed out due to the tank being new and not cycled yet. You will have ammonia nitrite in the tank, which the fish don’t like. Get you water tested at a local shop or buy a test kit. You best option would be do a water change and add benificial bacteria into the tank to speed up the process. I would also add in some seachem prime and hopefull this will detoxify some of the bad ammonia and nitrite. You will probably have to treat with ich medicine to full remove it. Hope this helps !
Thanks so much for your long reply, I just wanted to know: is the seachem prime at all like the Aqueon Water Conditioner?

Last edited by a moderator:

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime is like the Aqueon water conditioner in that it removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals etc. But what makes Prime different is that it also will detox up to 1ppm of ammonia and/or nitrites.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom