I'm overstocked

1. Cathy B Initiate Member

OK. So before I found this site I was going by my FS employees advise. I've learned a lot by "prowling" around all your stickies, replies to my posts and so forth and realize I am way over stocked. There is more info on my profile.

29 gallon

4 large Danio
    3 Black Widow Tetra
    2 Albino Cory
    2 Angel Fish
    2 Red-Tailed Black Shark
    1 Blue skirt tetra
    1 Green skirt tetra
    1 pink skirt tetra

Any suggestions? I've grown so quickly attached to them all. I wish I could afford another tank.:(

2. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

maybe rehome the sharks and you should be ok

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Attached or not, this is a hot mess. Figure out which species you want to keep based on the above school numbers and we'll help you. Honestly, skirts and angels are going to use up all that tank space immediately. I'd advise a smaller schooling fish. Build up your danio school, build up your cory school, keep the angels and rehome everything else.

Is this tank cycled?

4. Cathy B Initiate Member

Is this tank cycled?

Yes.

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Black widow tetra and the blue, green, and pink skirt tetras are all the same species so nothing to worry about there, other than the fact that your LFS sold you 3 fish that are dyed. The RTBSs do need to find a new home unfortunately. The albino cories would appreciate more of their own kind. If you find new homes for the sharks and add a couple more albino cory, you'll be pretty heavily stocked but probably ok.

6. Cathy B Initiate Member

3 Black Widow Tetra - need to be kept in groups of 6-8 minimum
    1 Blue skirt tetra - needs school of 6-8 minimum
    1 Green skirt tetra - needs school of 6-8 minimum
    1 pink skirt tetra - needs school of 6-8 minimum

I was under the impression (I guess wrongly) that all the skirts would be considered a group. They do hang together.

I see from harpua2002 that she is under that impression also. Now I'm really confused.

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That's correct, the black widows and the colored tetras are all the same species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. The pink, blue, and green ones are actually white skirt tetras, which are a color variant of the black skirt tetras. This color variant is produced by selective breeding. Unfortunately, the reason they are pink, blue, and green is that they have been dyed that color.

There are Glofish branded skirt tetras available now that are neon green. This is the result of genetic manipulation. To my knowledge the only color available right now is the neon green but I'm sure there will be others produced as well.

8. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would rehome the sharks and the albino corys and get 2 more danios any maybe get a school of 5 pygmy cory cats

9. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Danios with angels can be an issue. Danios are fin nippers.

I agree that the sharks need to be rehomed now.

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If they are giant danios, then they need to be rehomed as well.

11. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. I don't think anyone really caught that lol

I would leave it at the Tetras, the Angels, and the Corries. Maybe add more Tetras, of the same or another type... :)

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Beat to it, Giants aka Large danio need 55gal and up, big fish. Id rehome the Danio and the RTBS and then youd have the
    2 angles
    6 skirts
    2 cory, up the cory to 5. make sure you buy the same species.

13. Cathy B Initiate Member

Well after a discussion read argument with my husband last night who refuses to bring back the red tails. We have come to this compromise. Please let me know if you think it will work.

take back the giant Danio.
    Leave the red tails while juveniles (they are not aggressive to anyone or each other as yet).
    save up for another tank.

What is the smallest size tank to home either the RT or the Angles? Which would be better to re-home? If I do that can I get a school of small neon, or cardinal tetras? If so how many? As always thank so much for your help. :;thx
    PS I've updated my profile with readings took last night.

14. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

I'm not a super expert, but just from what I've read on here, I believe they say at least a 75 gallon preferred 125 for the red tails. And you should switch them to the bigger tank over the angels bc 2 angels can work in a 29g as long as it's not super heavily stocked. If you were to go for a school of neons or cardinals pick cardinals bc I know angels can eat neons (not sure about cardinals bc I haven't kept them but I believe they might be big enough). I wouldn't add them until you get the new tank tho.

15. fighter55 Member Member

Red-tails need at least a 55, and cannot be kept together. If you only kept one red-tail, there wouldn't be as much of a problem. If you get a 55, you could use a tank divider for the red-tails, but that would split the whole tank in half, which probably wouldn't be enough space for the red-tails. Try and see if you can rehome ONE of them, not both.

16. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The sharks actually can be kept together - they just need to be in a large enough group, which is prohibitive for most.

17. fighter55 Member Member

Exactly why most people don't keep many because of the tank size they require

18. cameronpalte Member Member

You can try to get a 300g and in a school of 8 sharks with a ton of other thinks that would look nice (confirm numbers). A nice 300g with stand and items needed (petsolutions) (heater filter ect.) will run you around 4.5 grand. Think of it as getting a small living beautiful car.

19. fighter55 Member Member

That it a project that is on my "someday" list. The prospect of aiming to get one now.... well its frightening.