Im Nuvo Fusion 10 Gallon Set Up

DaddyDeet

Well the mp10 is...the hydor.... not so much...lol...but I may keep them, I'm going to need 2 anyway...unless I can work out a trade for some other things I need. Then I'll just grab another hydor for $45 And hook them up to my smart outlet as a timer

DaddyDeet

So for the past couple days, the moment the lights go completely off, after the dusk cycle, one of my clowns starts what looks like "hosting" (not sure of the lingo...but looks like laying in a nem) in a crevice on the top of my rock.
Does this mean it's time to find some coral for it to lay on? I've read 6 mos or longer for nems....but maybe a mushroom or something would work?

Culprit

No, a lot of time clowns are weird and will host stuff. I know some people have literally had them host they're HOB pipe. A lot of the time they won't even host on their own in a nem, they have to be locked up with it in a breeder LOL.

DaddyDeet

Bizarre....what dummies

thesoulpatch

My clowns were "hosting" my power head for several months until I moved it...

DaddyDeet

So a guy in my local Facebook reef group was thinning out some of his corals, so I got a couple frags off him for $20 to start to see how I manage them.
So I grabbed a mushroom
20180320_175630.jpeg
Some eagle eye zoas
20180320_175615.jpeg
And some other zoas....but it looks like there may be something else in there on the left of the group...20180320_175423.jpeg
I'm working on getting through the uglies, still and managing that algae that I can only imagine is cyano....but I'll deal with it somehow....getting the happy balance in this 10 gallon is rough...

Culprit

I like dem! I think the last zoas may be people eaters?

DaddyDeet

I like dem! I think the last zoas may be people eaters?
The guy said fire and ice for the ones on the right...but those other ones, who knows...they're certainly different than the rest....people eaters would be cool...lol....they have suck ridiculous names

DaddyDeet

So I don't know if it's an optical illusion or what, but that mushroom is like double the size it was yesterday.... 20180321_160344.jpeg

Culprit

It was likely still mad yesterday and is just now opening up fully.

DaddyDeet

Oh that could be...that didn't occur to me

DaddyDeet

Ok, poll question. I've found a deal that seems dumb to pass up, where I can score a pair of xr30 gen 1 lights for the 150. The guy who has them suggested that with the TIR lenses, they should be enough light for the tank.
Any ideas from you gurus? Nart stella1979 thesoulpatch Culprit

Last edited:

Nart

What tank will the XR30 Gen1 be going over?

Regardless, at first glance it seems like a good deal. Till you dive into it... Radions are currently on Generation 4's now.
Generation 1's are really old, I think those LED lights came out in 2011-2012. So think about the use, wear and tear on it. That's about a 6 year old light now... I would pass on it.
Radion Gen 3s would be the oldest I would go if I were to used Radion lights and of course, if you can fork up the money, get the Gen4s, updated hemispheric lens and warm yellow LED.

DaddyDeet

Ok so here's what I've done.
Against the advice....I bought the radions....and here's the main reasons:
1. Quality of product
In comparison to other lights out there, these are just so much better for what I got them for ($200 for the pair) yes they are gen 1....but they work 100% functional...if they were to fail, I could still upgrade them to the gen 3 for 350 for the both of them if I send them to ecotech. Which leads me to number...
2. Ecotech is 1 hour away from me....which I had no idea....and I can bring items to them in person for servicing.
3. Price
At 200 for both of them.....it's impossible to pass up for me. The closest I could spend on lighting is 300 for those bootleg Chinese box lights that may or may not work....and then have to deal with who knows where to have any support for the product.
4. Trust in seller....
I've bought a lot of stuff from the gentleman I grabbed these from for the hobby. He is selling them from a now defunct saltwater lfs near me. Thus far, he has not let me down, or tried any funny business at all....heck, I got my IM 10 and aI prime from him, too!

So my fingers are crossed that I will have good luck with the lights...and again if they decide to malfunction...I can still upgrade the both of them to g3 for less than the cost of buying a single one including initial investment.

I also picked up a c skI'm 1800 skimmer for a steal at $150.....but I need to get a pump to feed it....the air pump is intact, just need a up to 450gph feed pump...and at that gph flow, it should be easy to acquire. And for the $150 the seller also threw in 3 250w marineland stealth pro heaters....so the heat is taken care of....I wanted multiple heaters obviously in case one fails....and totaling 750w is perfect...

stella1979

Congrats! Sounds like you made the right choice to me. That's awesome that you're so close to EcoTech!

DaddyDeet

Hey folks, update on the IM10 after quite a while....time flies, I guess...
Everyones happy in the tank, had some bouts with hair algae that are finally taken care of (it seems) and within the past week or 2, I i'm finally getting some coraline growth on the plastic bits of the tank...so I'm excited for that.
The 150 project is just about to get put together, have it plumbed, all rock and sand waiting to go in...80lbs live sand and 120lbs of dry rock...plus another 40 lbs of dry shelf rock, just so I can use to to escape a little better. Still have a minor ironing out of the skimmer outlet....I have to run it externally, since its massive and won't fit in the sump without being very crammed....so I got a pump and ball valve so I'll feed the skimmer that way...just need to lift it a couple inches to be able to put some more water....and when I do that...it still may not have the outlet high enough to go downward back into the sump.
I'll figure something out...lol
Anyway...heres some pics of the IM1020180922_094327.jpg20180930_114230.jpg1539823421269.jpg

stella1979

Great update! See, that's why I don't mess with skimmers. No, really, I'm thrilled to see the IM10 and pumped for the 150!! Patience pays in the saltwater hobby, but don't forget to keep us updated on the monster tank. The clowns and their BTA look great!

DaddyDeet

Yeah, who knew the only thing I would have patience with is a fish tank...lol...
Clowns are very happy, and added a neon goby to finish it off....one of the clowns is now clearly the female, and is the only one who will host that rose tip......I know they get to big for this tank, but I'm hoping it'll split and then I can avoid spending on one for the big tank.
Plumbing the overflow was a real pain....had to get creative.
Having to use the skimmer externally forced me to slide the sump further away from the overlow... so naturally the "intakes" of the sump fell right behind the rear support of the stand...but after repeated trips to home depot, I think we're golden
20181009_165757.jpg

DaddyDeet

Well I "finished" my scape on the 150. I had 160lbs of rock...and prob have maybe 20 left in usable stuff.. and some rubble..
I'd like to add some height to one of the sides...probably the left "cave" side. I didnt want to create too much shadows, so I left the right side a cove....but I think it would be better with one side higher than the other...just have to figure a way to do It without it being wobbly. 20181021_153155.jpg20181021_153217.jpg20181021_153244.jpg

stella1979

Looks great!! This is getting exciting.

Are you using anything to stick the rocks together at this point? You could get creative with some glue and epoxy to make that left side taller. You might like to check out Nart 's old gravity-defying scape on his IM25 Round 2 thread, (specifically post # 93 but you can certainly go back a few pages to see the scaping start, and forward a few pages to see how it looked covered in corals!) What you don't see, (sorry Nart! ) is quite a bit of epoxy that was used only on the back of the scape to hold things together. Anyhow, it's good thread to check out regarding rockscaping, and is by far my favorite nano scape I've seen here, even counting against my own!

Nart's Lagoon Build - Round 2!!! | Saltwater Aquarium Builds Forum | 299291

DaddyDeet

I used spots of jb water weld to secure what's there...but I was reading...and thought about trying hydraulic cement...doesn't seem to affect water quality in any way, and it like 7.50 for 10lbs of it. I've come to understand it's fairly fast acting...and hard within 5 minutes...so it may take some experimenting and by that I mean cursing...lol.....but if I'm only using it to build a tower off the top of that side.....I may give it a go....

That left side seems to have the flattest top, I had 40lbs of the 160 as shelf rock, so there's certainly a flat bottom for the roof of the cave...but the top of that piece seems to be pretty flat-ish as well.

stella1979

I know nothing about hydraulic cement, sooo... But I think I have some ideas that might help. Also, in bringing this higher at all, I think you'll need some kind of putty.

So, in taking a second look, I'm thinking the height of the cave's roof rock should be higher in the back than it is in the front. That might mean switching the supporting cave walls though. I do think it's best because for building off of the current roof of your cave I'd want to use the unevenness of the top to try to make the rocks flow. I think the roof rock should be turned around so the thicker part is towards the front and the thinner part can be used as the base for more piling of rocks. Say you wanted to do something like a wide/thick, kinda short branch reaching up and giving you more room for those high light corals.. Wouldn't it make sense for that to come off the thinner part of the roof rock? And if so, wouldn't you want the branch reaching towards the center of the tank instead of the front left corner? Coming towards the center is certainly best from the lighting perspective. Otherwise, am I making sense at all? Lol... I'm no good at splainin' this kind of thing. The way it currently is, I'm having a hard time seeing more rocks reaching towards the upper center while the back of the roof is lower than the front. I just think lowest at the front of the roof would have a more natural look... but seriously, I'm no pro at this, so do what appeals to you. This is just my 2¢.

DaddyDeet

Well I've done some re working of the left side....I've been using the old fiberglass driveway markers....unfortunately I only get a solid hour or so to play with it 8n the evening...so it's slow go....I need to sturdy up a bit more and see how it goes....the toughest part is drilling the holes in the correct **** angles! A few degrees off and the whole alignment is shot!
20181023_200447.jpg20181023_200533.jpg

Nart

DaddyDeet How are you liking your finished scape yourself? just a lesson learned from me, don't settle till you are 100% satisfied lol.

stella1979 I had too much fun with my old rock-scape. even though it took me foreverrrr to do... but hey, patience is key right? I will resurrect that scape in the future! it is still intact and all, just dried up, sitting in the closet

DaddyDeet

DaddyDeet How are you liking your finished scape yourself? just a lesson learned from me, don't settle till you are 100% satisfied lol.

stella1979 I had too much fun with my old rock-scape. even though it took me foreverrrr to do... but hey, patience is key right? I will resurrect that scape in the future! it is still intact and all, just dried up, sitting in the closet
I like it about 75%.....the other 25% was a boost because it was done...lol....
I'm still trying to rework it, but those rods and holes are a real pain in the neck.
I've been trying to do it piece by piece and assemble it in the tank.... it it seems like the best way is just pull all the pieces out, and build it outside....then reassemble inside when I know that the holes are right....
Its only getting done once....so I have to get it right..lol...I'm not about to go changing it once its filled...
If I had a clear vision on what I wanted it to look like, it may be easier...but with every piece, the outlook varies...
I digress...

Nart

DaddyDeet I was exactly the same way with like my 3-4 other rockscapes till I finally just tore the entire tank apart and made my entire rockscape structure.
One thing to keep in mind, rockscaping for a larger tank is a lot harder, just because there's so much to work with. For larger tanks and rockscapes I would recommend using aquascaping cement instead of epoxy, one that I know off the top of my head that has good reviews is Marco rockscaping cement. You'll essentially create pieces of your rockscape outside the tank, cement em together and connect it together in the tank

DaddyDeet

DaddyDeet I was exactly the same way with like my 3-4 other rockscapes till I finally just tore the entire tank apart and made my entire rockscape structure.
One thing to keep in mind, rockscaping for a larger tank is a lot harder, just because there's so much to work with. For larger tanks and rockscapes I would recommend using aquascaping cement instead of epoxy, one that I know off the top of my head that has good reviews is Marco rockscaping cement. You'll essentially create pieces of your rockscape outside the tank, cement em together and connect it together in the tank
Have you had any experience with just hydraulic cement? I'm sure my lfs doesn't have anything other than that epoxy , and would hate to have to order and wait for it...

Nart

Unfortunately I don't have a clue. Google it up!
I personally would not mind the wait till the proper equipment comes to get the job done right. But if you are happy with your scape now, then move lessssgoooo! Fill that bad boy up

DaddyDeet

Unfortunately I don't have a clue. Google it up!
I personally would not mind the wait till the proper equipment comes to get the job done right. But if you are happy with your scape now, then move lessssgoooo! Fill that bad boy up
Well I read so much conflicting info from so many forums, I ordered the marco from brs...should have it Wednesday

Nart

Well worth the wait. Are you going to break up some of the pieces into smaller ones?

DaddyDeet

More than likely....I'll keep the big pieces on the bottom...but essentially itll be rebuilt using smaller pieces so I can make it more as I "envision" it.....I'm assuming 5lbs of that stuff is enough to do everything. ..it sounds like it's pretty strong stuff, do I eont need much for joints

Top Bottom