im not too worried but want some other advice 55 Gallon Tank

1. sylice8 Member Member

:;dk so i just got my RTS 2 Kribs and a Firemouth all of the fish are doing well but the firemouth. Im not too worried cause its there 1st day but he has not really moved form one spot at all since he got home and im a littled wooried i know that most of the time ther calm but he is just sitting/ leaning kinda on a rock is he ok just want a second opinoin?

Thank u in advance:;rfro;D

2. rae64 Well Known Member Member

any pictures?

3. Neji Member Member

sylice8, your new firemouth cichlid might need some time to adjust into his/her's new home. Same thing happened to my little fire mouth too when I first introduced it into my tank. You can try adding some stress relieve medication.. it's just in a bottle and it's in a liquid form; it should do well since it works with all of my fishes too.

If you don't want to use stress relieve medication, then you can use the natural aquarium salt. Once a week with every single water change you do. I put aquarium salt in once a week so all of my fishes have good slime coats and even when they are a bit stressed they don't loose too much of their slime that protects ick from growing on them :)

Good luck!

PS: Try feeding it once or twice a day :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. It sounds like your fish may just need more time to acclimate to his new home. I use Nova Aqua to add body slime/stress reliever. Personally I don't recommend using salt for freshwater tanks but many people do use it. Adding salt can cause the fish to produce too much body slime and can stress the fish even more.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I know many people use salt, but I'm not a fan of it. I've read a lot of conflicting things about it and since I never have used it, I don't want to fix what's not broke. Is there a difference between aquarium salt and marine salt?

6. Neji Member Member

I'm pretty sure marine salt is more saline than the regular freshwater aquarium salt. Otherwise everyone would just be using marine salt to hatch brine shrimp instead of aquarium salt :)

7. sylice8 Member Member

:;th Thank u for ur help i will add the stress coat tp help him out also do u thanj maaby he needs a friend because i ve heard that chiclids like to be in pairs like a male/female or female/female:;dk