I'm Not Sure What's Wrong With My Goldfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lauradesu, May 14, 2019.

1. Lauradesu Valued Member Member

I havent been on here in awhile so let's do a quick update before I get right to the subject.
    I have 5 fancy goldfish (2 orandas 2 ryukins 1 pond comet) in a 100 gallon tank. The 100 gallon is fully cycled and the levels in the water are literally perfect (no ammonia no nitrites 7.0 ph and the nitrates are WAY below 40 ppm)
    We recently added an apple snail (his name is mochi)
    Anyways so my two orandas have the same problem they both have raised red bumps I will post a picture below. They dont seem to be sickly and I have endlessly googled what it could be to find nothing! These goldfish are my pride and joy (I should mention there is no heater in the tank) but please If anyone can help please let me know because my next step is taking them to my exotic animal vet who deals with fish. In the photo below you will see the fin of my black and white oranda and it has the bumps as well as the one at the front who has a bump on its mouth.

Attached Files:

2. SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Maybe try Erythromycin for open wounds or sores first. API is the producer of that medication. Your local big bog lfs should carry it.

3. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

Could that be lymphocystis ?

4. Lauradesu Valued Member Member

It does seem like lymphocystis I goggled it but I'm unsure of the treatment. I'm really looking for something to help them.
    And Erythromycin? Will that help?

5. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

Lympho is a virus ..No cure as I understand .
    Often it just goes away on its own ..Keep up on good water quality and proper nutrition ..That is best you can do .

6. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

I don't think that's lymphocystis. Could you get a pic of the other oranda too? The more the better.

7. dlboge New Member Member

Goldfish supposedly don't get Lymphocystis but they do get several herpes viruses which produce pink lumps like you are seeing. There are no medications which kill viruses of course. Some people have vets remove the growths. I'd just let them go as they typically will subside and go away in a few months.

8. Lauradesu Valued Member Member

From what I have googled it seems like there are photos that they do get it but again I'm unsure. Out of my five goldfish only two have the lumps. I will try to get a photo of them.

9. Lauradesu Valued Member Member

Here is yuki, our bigger oranda with the growth on its fin. It doesnt seem to bother it? I'm not sure. Im just worried because these popped up out of no where.

Attached Files:

10. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

^^ Correct ^^ My bad on the name ..
    Laura look into fish pox or carp pox ..

11. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

I almost said that it looks like the herpes virus, but I've never heard of fish carrying it. Lol
    To me it looks like 2 different things going on. That looks like a growth, but the other looks like a sore of some sort.

12. Lauradesu Valued Member Member

From what I've looked at it does look like this "fish/carp pox" they dont seem to be affected by their bumps they dont look sickly and the water conditions are good. We sometimes remove mochi (the apple snail) and put him in the quarantine tank so we can salt the tank we've only done that once or twice. I need as much information on what this possibly could be before we take them to the vets, but if it is "pox" I'd be glad to know they arent sickly and dying. These goldfish are me and my fiances everything's.