I'm Not Sure What To Do Now....

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by VioletSS, Aug 1, 2017.

1. VioletSS

VioletSS Valued Member Member

I have a planted 5 gallon cycled tank. In 3 1/2 days I'll be adding 10 shrimp.

Last night I put a small nerite snail in there.
    The snail is the only critter and is doing great so far.

But now I don't know what to do about the cycle.
    How should I keep the tank cycled until I get the shrimp?
    I've got some seeded filter material in another tank that I could add before adding the shrimp, but I don't want to lose the cycle completely in the next 3 1/2 days.

Should I sprinkle some flake food in there to add a little ammonia?

Any suggestions?

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Honestly shrimp have such a small bioload, they probably wouldn't keep the cycle either. You could add a little bit of their food to add ammonia, but I wouldn't worry too much. The snail will also help, it has a higher bioload.

3. OP
    OP
    VioletSS

Mak - will the tank be constantly cycling even with shrimp in there?

4. OP
    OP
    VioletSS

Giving this a last bump - in case anyone else has some insight. :)

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

The bacteria will grow or die until they reach the bioload of the tank, and then should stay at a constant. If you've been cycling with ammonia up until now, chances are, you have more bacteria than you need :)

6. OP
    OP
    VioletSS

YAY! That's so good to hear. Yes, I've been dosing ammonia.
    Hoping those bacteria will hold out for me just a few more days...

Thanks a lot!

7. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Make sure your tank is well cycled. Most shrimp do better in an older tank > 3 months. Might be good to check your parameters a day or so in advance of your shrimp arrival. Have you checked your GH and KH values.
    I am a firm believer in cuttlebone as an add on for shrimp also driftwood. I lost most of my shrimp until I added these two items. Or my tank matured I really don't know which it was.

8. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimp Valued Member Member

Remember, your cycle can crash. If you go from lots of ammonia and therefore lots of nitrifying bacteria, to no or little ammonia, your bacteria will die, causing the tank to recycle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice