I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with my female swordtail. (+ pictures)

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by Disc10, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Disc10New MemberMember

Heya. Over the last couple of days I've noticed my female swordtail (lovingly named Debbie by my my equally loving girlfriend ;D), has been a bit, erm, shy.

This is my tank at a glance (sorry I couldn't get a better photo, but as you can see it's fairly well planted.):

575.jpg

Wednesday she started hiding just out of sight, under some driftwood. I didn't think much of it at the time and left her to it. Yesterday I got an airstone and powered it up. She stays put, swimming out for food and then returning. This morning I found she'd moved home to the corner of the tank where the heater is, it's well planted there and there's driftwood to hide under too. I thought that maybe the airstone was stressing her out so I turned it off. Moments later she zooms out and returns to her old hiding spot, swims under the filter with Larry (the other swordtail, again named by my girlfriend) and explores a little more than she had been lately. I left the bubbles off whilst I went out and when I came back Debbie had decided she's rather like to sit herself on the top of the filter like so:

577.jpg

Now as far as I can see there are no signs of injury or illness, no signs of pregnancy (yet anyway, though it has been a few months since the last eight babies turned up), and Larry and the baby swordtails are acting normally. Larry will sometimes stay close to Debbie. I know that my Nitrites are still in unwanted levels but they've both been in the tank when Nitrites are at their peak so I'd be a little surprised if they're only just taking their toll on her (but not unsurprised either) . I've been doing water changes every day as advised in another thread here (and welcome advice it was too, the tank has been doing a lot better since), so I'm not sure what it could be, if there is anything wrong at all.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time. ;D

EDIT: She's still going for food fine, I put some in the tank and she's ventured out from over the filter to eat. She's staying out for now but I suspect she'll return.

EDIT #2: Typical, as soon as I voice my concerns everything is normal again! ;D I've even got the airstone back on and she seems fine, but I'll keep a close eye on her anyway.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Good that everything's going well. It may have been discomfort due to the nitrites, or some illness, or just a mood. Keeping an eye on her is a good idea, but she'll probably be good.

3. The fish master 123456Valued MemberMember

What is the hardness of the water, it could be to soft because swordtails like hard water. My swordtail has never done anything like this before so i just dont know.

4. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

This is a pretty old thread, Fishmaster. I think that, if Disc10 didn't respond, things sorted themselves out pretty well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice