I'm Not Sure If My Betta Has Fin Rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I was thinking of getting a betta fish for a while now and bought the nessasary equipment for it(10 gallon tank I already had cleaned, filter, heater and a betta leaf for fun I will buy some silk plants and stuff later for him) I bought him and when I got home and acclimated him then released him I realized that his fins were a bit blackened on the edge, is this fin rot?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the black edges are normal. Mine has them and his fins are doing fine., They may even be growing. Fin rot shows as white, not black.

OP
OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks I bought some betta fix and did extensive research coming to the conclusion that it is safe for the betta if the water parameters are good, but would it harm my fish if the blackened edges isn't fin rot and I put fin rot medication inside the tank?

Wait a seccond our fish look very much alike lol

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok thanks I bought some betta fix and did extensive research coming to the conclusion that it is safe for the betta if the water parameters are good, but would it harm my fish if the blackened edges isn't fin rot and I put fin rot medication inside the tank?
It can indeed effect them by treating medication they dont need. Medication should be a last idea anyway. What if we gave you cancer treatment because we think you may have it, but you didn't. You will be stressed, probably cause some other issues and pricey!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
best thing to do for now as with any new fish, try to keep the water a little extra clean and watch. Clean water works wonders for lots of things. Bettafix is the safest in the fix line for bettas but can easily be overdosed and harm their labyrinth organ which to me isnt safe to use at all.

missa124816

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like it's just his coloring! I'd keep an eye on him. Depending on how bad fin rot is, you can clearly tell. His fins will looks very shredded and white around the edges if he has fin rot, but your fish looks alright!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom