I'm Not Sure If My Betta Has Fin Rot

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by OneLittleBubble, Apr 22, 2018.

1. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

So I was thinking of getting a betta fish for a while now and bought the nessasary equipment for it(10 gallon tank I already had cleaned, filter, heater and a betta leaf for fun I will buy some silk plants and stuff later for him) I bought him and when I got home and acclimated him then released him I realized that his fins were a bit blackened on the edge, is this fin rot?

2. luckdownWell Known MemberMember

Could you post a picture of it please?

3. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Sure

Attached Files:

4. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

I think the black edges are normal. Mine has them and his fins are doing fine., They may even be growing. Fin rot shows as white, not black.

5. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

Ok thanks I bought some betta fix and did extensive research coming to the conclusion that it is safe for the betta if the water parameters are good, but would it harm my fish if the blackened edges isn't fin rot and I put fin rot medication inside the tank?

Wait a seccond our fish look very much alike lol

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018
  6. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

It can indeed effect them by treating medication they dont need. Medication should be a last idea anyway. What if we gave you cancer treatment because we think you may have it, but you didn't. You will be stressed, probably cause some other issues and pricey!

7. Dch48Well Known MemberMember

It might not harm the fish but it could kill off some of the good bacteria and interfere with the Nitrogen cycle.

8. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

best thing to do for now as with any new fish, try to keep the water a little extra clean and watch. Clean water works wonders for lots of things. Bettafix is the safest in the fix line for bettas but can easily be overdosed and harm their labyrinth organ which to me isnt safe to use at all.

9. OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

I got a better picture because the other one wasn't great

Attached Files:

10. missa124816New MemberMember

Looks like it's just his coloring! I'd keep an eye on him. Depending on how bad fin rot is, you can clearly tell. His fins will looks very shredded and white around the edges if he has fin rot, but your fish looks alright!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice