I'm Not Sure If I'm Ready To Take Care Of A Bigger Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by aced it, Apr 15, 2018.

1. aced it

aced itValued MemberMember

I want to set up a 40 gallon tank this summer, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to do it yet. I'd only really been consider myself as being in the hobby for three or four months and I've only owned bettas before. I have three bettas right now. Two are in a divided 10 gallon and the third is in a 10 gallon long by himself. They're all very happy and active, and they have huge appetites. I want to start taking care of more difficult fish, but I'm not really sure where to start. My parents have agreed that I can get a 40 gallon tank this summer, but I'm kind of worried that I'm not experienced enough to take care of it properly. The last thing I'd want is for any fish to suffer because I took on more than I could manage. Are 40 gallons a lot harder to take care of than 20s or 30s? Would it be a better idea to start with a smaller tank?

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's not too big, so I encourage you to take the step!
    Usually, larger tanks are easier to keep secure parameter wise.

If you know how to maintain an aquarium, you can do most things. Go for it!

3. Laxin10

Laxin10Valued MemberMember

Exactly as someone said above me^^. A 40 gallon is not big at all for someone who knows the importance of water changes and the nitrogen cycle. If anything, a 40 gallon is easier because bigger system=more stable parameters. Typically the only reason I see for people not upgrading to bigger tanks is usually found in 3 areas:

1. Space
    2. Money
    3. Time (it takes more time to do maintenance on filtration, water changes, and scrubbing etc)

4. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I love the 40g breeder tanks. Great tank to work with. You'll be fine!

5. Becknewt24

Becknewt24Valued MemberMember

You said huge they eat a lot. What do you feed them and how much?

6. OP
    OP
    aced it

aced itValued MemberMember

The two younger ones eat about 4-5 pebbles per day and would gladly have more if I let them. Unless I'm going to be gone for the day, they get two or three in the morning and two at night. The older one won't eat more than 3 per day. He gets fed three in the morning, and he usually ignores anything I give him at night. All three have a hunger day once a week. They also get freeze dried blood worms a couple times a week as a treat.

7. Frozen One

Frozen OneValued MemberMember

The fact that you want to start up a 40 gallon says a lot! I think you should take the opportunity, you don’t have to put any high maintenance fish in as soon as the tank is cycled. You can put some easy to care for fish in there until you’re ready to add higher difficulty fish. There are Plenty of beginner care level fish and plants. As many have said you’ll have a lot easier time keeping your water in check. Enough rambling from me, go for it boss!

8. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Go for it. My first real tank was a 120 gallon. I now have only a 55 because the 120 was in the basement and lugging 5 gallon buckets up and down the stairs to do water changes every week got rough on the back. I would even recommend a 55 gallon if your parents will allow it.