I'm new!

vjbar88

Reaction score
Well, I started my tank about a month ago. I'm not really new to it though. I had a 10 gallon when I was younger and I was very lucky..however, my luck has started to change. . In my tank I had 3 corys, and 6 zebra danios with two snails..I was pushing it...well, the other day one of my danios died....and I just thought he was sick, since he was the littlest of them all...well, today...I came home from work and one of my snails died!...I did a water change, that's how I noticed it all....and I tested the ammonia levels...they were high..I'm thinking that is what killed them. I put ammonia clear tabs in my tank. I hope that works....Any help??

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore.... You will get alot of help on here. Everyone is great. I would have to agree that the ammonia probably killed your fish. Did you cycle the tank before adding your fish??? If not read up on the nitrogen cycle thread in beginners. Also you will want to post the size of your tank, and all water levels including nitrate, ammonia, and nitrite. And include what fish you have left. I am sorry about the fish you have lost. Hang in there and hopefully they can help you get through this without losing any more fish.. Gunnie and Butterfly are great so are a lot of the others just wait for them to answer.... Good Luck...

Heidi

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! Please read the articles in this link if you haven't already, and make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle completely. This is the most important thing you must know to be successful in this hobby:

Water changes are better than adding chemicals to your tank. For your fishies sake, until we can get more information to help you, the ammonia tabs probably helped greatly. A water change is usually never a bad idea, and may be necessary at this time. Please get back with us soon, so we can help you get your tank on track.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!! The advice you have already received is right on target.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Also keep in mind, the more chemicals you add the worse your water may become. Personally I hate doing water changes but you do them anyway 'cause u love your little guys to death. I think that your problem is that you may not have completely cycled your tank AND you have a pretty substancial bio load. The Ammonia tabs will help but you might want to try and get your tank under control and not use them as often unless it is an absolute emergency. Welcome to Fishlore and I hope that you enjoy ur fight.

~inari

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, sorry to say but your tank is way overstocked. You will either need to take some fish back to the store or get another tank. (hehe, we all know you want to take the second option...I can see mts creeping up on you... ;D)
Anyway, sorry I can't sound more optimistic but that is way too many fish for a 10 gallon. Get back to us soon and keep us updated on how your fishies are doing.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Everyone gets MTS, I think there should be a group like AA except for MTS. LOL anway we all do it . My finacee is starting to get it. She has a 3 gallon with a few guppies, and an empty 1 gallon that Inari is sitting in until he gets better. She was talking about getting a betta for the 1 gallon. Anyway her tanks are pretty good as well. I made sure of that anyway I've deviated and i'm ranting anyway good luck with your fish. IDK how far over stocked your tank is, but mine is about 20 gallons worth of fish. I just have to do water changes more often, but my fish are all very happy. just keep in mind if at all possible don't use chemicals if you are trying to fix something water change not chemicals.

~Inari

vjbar88

Reaction score
This is what I did with my tank...I took some fish back...and now I just have 5 danios and 3 corys...they are more active and happy...I also bought them some bubbles...but my ammonia levels are where they should be...I just do water changes more. I also am going to get a 29 gal.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would suggest that b4 u go put fish into that tank get some bio-spira or feed the cycle until it is safe to add fish I would not add any until such a time. I'm glad you were able to return some. good luck

~inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom