Im new on this forum and i have a question

1. jaysix79 Member Member

first of all i want to say hi to everyone..... im new on this forum so please everyone take it easy on me.....

i have several question. I have a 55 gallons tank that i want to change my gravel into sand.

1. im thinking of using either play sand or pool sand (or any other recommendation where i dont brake my bank i dont have deep pocket).. i am aware that i can get this from my local home depot or lowes which is nice, but once i buy this from them what kinda of cleaning do i have to do b4 i put them inside my tank?.. just regular rinsing? or do i have to boil it with hot water?. I DECIDED TO USE POOL FILTER SAND AND RINSE IT THROUGHLY

2. i been searching google around about the proper substraight for planted aquarium.... i know they recomendded you have to put planting soil under and sand/gravel on top for best result.. would sand alone do okay with plan just incase i wanted to plant my aqaurium in the future. im not planning to do heavy planning just a few for decoration. (my ideal aquarium is half planted and half rock decor)

3. would cichlids be okay with light planted aquarium? ive seen planted aquarium with comunity on them but not cichlids. I'M STAYING AWAY FROM LIVE PLANS AND USING ROCKS INSTEAED

4 if i go with all rocks decor for my tank. is there any certain rocks i sould stay away from that will ruin my tank.

I STILL KINDA NEED A RECOMMENDATION AND ANSWER FOR MY QUESTION 2 AND 4

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jaysix and Welcome to Fish Lore. I've seen people have better luck with pool filter sand compared to play sand. Pool filter sand seems to be easier to clean. All you have to do to prep it is rinse, rinse, rinse. I'll let others give you tips on plantings.

Too, having Cichlids and a planted tank may not go over too well. Cichlids like to do a lot of foraging around the tank and I'm not certain the plants would stay in the substrate for long. I'm sure you'll get some more responses soon.
    Enjoy the site and I hope you can share some photos with us along the way!
    Best of luck!
    Ken

3. jaysix79 Member Member

Thanks aquarist48 for your replied... that eliminated my planting question about Cichlids and plants... no wonder all i see around with planted tanks are community tiny fish....

How much is rinse rinse rinse do i have to do? :) I’m thinking of putting the sand in the bucket about half way... spray with water and mix it up a bit and drain..... My question is about how many times I should repeat this process...

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jay. The best I can tell you is to rinse it until it doesn't look cloudy any longer. Don't be surprised though if it still looks a bit cloudy one you add it to you tank. It will take a while 24 hours or so for it to settle.
    Ken

5. jaysix79 Member Member

thanks ken... now i have an idea how to clean the sand.. ill be making my trip to homedepot this week and get me some sand for my tank

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Have fun and keep us posted!
    Ken

7. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

good luck

8. Regal Well Known Member Member

You can put some of the sand in a bucket outside and run the hose into the bucket. At first the water will be brown but as you flush it out it will get clear.

9. alicem Member Member

Depends on which cichlids you are stocking with.
    Keep in mind, angel fish, apistogramma and rams are cichlids from South America and do extremely well in planted tanks. :;th

African cichlids that I have are: N. brichardi, cyprichromis, altolamprologus, julidochromis and N.multifasciatus.
    They are in medium planted low tech tanks and do great. At most they nibble on the algae and microscopic stuff on the plants.
    To be honest, my multies do dig and so their tank has alot fewer plants.

It is very true that some cichlids will eat the plants and some will rip 'em up just for the fun of it.
    So, certain types of cichlids can be a huge problem with plants.

Often, if the tank is planted first and the cichlids that are a potential problem for plants are added as juviniles,
    you'll have much better luck with them leaving the plants alone.

For sure, digging cichlids (for example "earth eaters") are a poor choice for a tank with substrate rooted plants.
    hth,
    alicem

10. jaysix79 Member Member

Right now what I have are 2 Oscars which are about 6 inches long.... and one assorted cichlid (yellow color) and one algae eater 8 inch long.... I tried putting a plan in my tank and the Oscar already pulled it out of its pot with in an hr... So I guess that option is out the window...

so my plan is keeping my Oscars, my algae eater who is about 8 inches long and the cichlid (yellow about 2.5 inches long) they all 4 get along well in my 55 gallon tank... all of my fish are about a yr old and the algae eater is about 3 yrs old....

My new questions are

1. Are sand safe for Oscars? (I’m planning to use the pool filter sand)

2. I’m planning to add more rocks for decoration.. About how much lbs can I add??

3. Can I add more fish(s) right long it looks empty?

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't keep Oscars or cichlids, but wanted to welcome you to the forum! :;hi1

12. jaysix79 Member Member

thank you lucy.... im glad to be part of this forum alot of people are very helpfull specially ken.. hes answer my question on both freshwater and saltwalter... my sister is doing the saltwater tank